Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Meet 'Little Picasso,'
Celebs' Favorite New Artist
Sep 27, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Meet 'Little Picasso,' Celebs' Favorite New Artist
Paintings of Andres Valencia, 10, sold for 6 figures to the likes of Diane Keaton, Brooke Shields
- At age 10, Andres Valencia has already sold paintings in the six figures, and to celebrities including Sofia Vergara, Channing Tatum, Diane Keaton, and Brooke Shields. It's a level of success seldom achieved by the most experienced of the art world, let alone a fifth grader, per My Modern...
Freud Denied Painting It,
but the Questions Linger
Sep 25, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Freud Denied Painting It, but the Questions Linger
'New Yorker' digs into the history of a disputed work of art attributed to Lucian Freud
- Before he died in 2011 , the acclaimed British painter Lucian Freud adamantly denied painting a work that surfaced in the late 1990s and was being attributed to him. You might think that would be the final word on the subject. But as Sam Knight reports in a lengthy story in...
Brad Pitt Goes Public With
Sep 20, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Brad Pitt Goes Public With Self-Reflection Sculptures
He's 'taking account of those I may have hurt, moments I have just gotten wrong'
- Following in the footsteps of fellow actor Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt is making his non-film-related art public for the first time. The 58-year-old shocked art lovers in Finland on Saturday when he showed up to exhibit nine sculptures at Sara Hilden Art Museum in Tampere. His involvement in the larger...
2 Artists Tape Banana to Wall,
and Now It's in Federal Court
Aug 22, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
2 Artists Tape Banana to Wall, and Now It's in Federal Court
Odd legal fight is between American artist Joe Morford and Italian Maurizio Cattelan
- It's not often the worlds of art, the law, and duct-taped fruit intersect, but here we are. A California artist named Joe Morford is suing Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, claiming that Cattelan stole his idea about taping a banana to a wall, reports the
. Last month, a federal...
Mom in $140M
Aug 12, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Scammed Own Mom in $140M Psychic Ruse
Sabine Boghici, 48, and accomplices are accused of conning her 82-year-old mother for years
- A Brazilian woman was arrested this week and accused of recruiting a group of fake psychics to scam her own 82-year-old mother out of about $140 million in cash, artwork, and jewelry, reports the
. The alleged scheme began in January 2020, when Genevieve Boghici, the wealthy widow of...
Johnny Depp's Debut Art
Collection Sells Out in Hours
Jul 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Johnny Depp's Debut Art Collection Sells Out in Hours
It's Castle Fine Art's 'fastest-selling collection to date,' with $3.6M in sales
- Within hours, Johnny Depp went from being a somewhat secret painter to one with sales in the multi-millions. The actor unleashed his debut art collection on the world in a Thursday Instagram post , revealing prints for sale through Castle Fine Art's galleries, per the BBC . Its website was soon...
Hidden Sketches in
Jul 13, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
X-Rays Reveal Hidden Sketches in Famous Painting
'Nude With a Hat' is one of Modigliani's best-known works
- Curators at an Israeli museum have discovered three previously unknown sketches by celebrated 20th-century artist Amedeo Modigliani hiding beneath the surface of one of his paintings. The unfinished works by Modigliani, an Italian-born artist who worked in Paris before his death in 1920, came to light after the canvas of...
She Wants Sotheby's to
Pay Her Back for Her Chagall
Jul 10, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
She Wants Sotheby's to Pay Her Back for Her Chagall
A panel determined it was fake; Stephanie Clegg wants the auction house to pay up
- As Stephanie Clegg tells it, Sotheby's led her astray—more than once. In 1994 she purchased a work on paper by Marc Chagall from the auction house for $90,000. In 2008, Sotheby's reappraised "Le couple au bouquet de fleurs" at $100,000. In 2020, as she...
Meet One of the Art World's
Jul 2, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Meet One of the Art World's Fastest-Rising Stars
Anna Weyant commands 7 figures for her paintings these days
- If you happened across some of Anna Weyant's paintings in the summer of 2019, displayed on a beach towel at a Hamptons art fair and going for about $400 each, it would have been a wise investment to scoop one up. Because as the
Wall Street Journal
Hotel' Will Really
Make You Think
Jun 28, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
This 'Zero-Star Hotel' Will Really Make You Think
That's the goal, anyway, of art installation by twin brothers erected next to Swiss gas station
- Some people think best in the shower. Others may find they do their best ruminating while lying in bed in the middle of the street next to a gas station. The latter is what Frank and Patrik Riklin are banking on, anyway, with a concept they hope will spur people...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Picasso Painted His Lover as a
Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
May 18, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Picasso Painted His Lover as a Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
The painting fetched $67.5M
- Being depicted as a tentacled sea creature by your lover may not sound like the highest compliment. But when that lover is Pablo Picasso, well ... it's a whole other story.
Femme nue Couchée
, a painting that imagines Marie-Thérèse Walter as a five-limbed sea creature, sold for...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Dumpster Diver Discovers
Major Art Treasure
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Dumpster Diver Discovers Major Art Treasure
Lucky auto mechanic is now a huge fan of abstract expressionist Francis Hines
- Acting on a tip from a contractor in 2017, auto mechanic Jared Whipple retrieved a bunch of dirt-covered artworks from a dumpster, which was filled with materials from an abandoned barn in nearby Watertown. The haul included hundreds of pieces, including paintings, sculptures, and small drawings. Whipple later learned they...
'We Got a Kick Out of It’
Apr 11, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Notorious Forgers Explain Themselves: 'We Got a Kick Out of It’
Wolfgang and Helene Beltracchi collected millions before they went to prison
- Wolfgang Beltracchi, notorious forger of 20-century art, had standards. "I have to create something beautiful," he said. "I want to make people happy." With their prison sentences served, Beltracchi and his wife and forgery partner, Helene, have discussed their life of art crimes with Jeannette Fischer,...
on Russia: $46M
Worth of Art
Apr 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Latest Crackdown on Russia: $46M Worth of Art
Customs officials in Finland seize paintings, sculptures, antiquities
- Some $46 million worth of art on loan from Russian galleries to museums in Japan and Italy has been seized on the return trip. Customs officials in Finland seized the paintings, sculptures, and antiquities in three shipments at the Vaalimaa crossing of the Finland-Russia border on Friday and Saturday, in...
Turns Out, Rembrandt
Himself Painted This One
Apr 1, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Turns Out, Rembrandt Himself Painted This One
Experts say painting long attributed to a pupil is by the Dutch master himself
- A 1638 painting dubbed
Landscape with Arched Bridge
suddenly just became a lot more valuable. For the past three decades, the painting has been attributed to Govert Flinck, a student of 17th-century Dutch master painter Rembrandt van Rijn. But as the
reports, it has just been confirmed to be...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
A Hermit's Art Is Famous Due
to His Landlords. Who Owns It?
Feb 13, 2022 5:40 PM CST
A Hermit's Art Is Famous Due to His Landlords. Who Owns It?
That question, specifically about Henry Darger, will get its day in court
- As far as outsider—or self-taught—artists go, Henry Darger is one of the greats. The Chicago janitor lived as a hermit and died in 1973 at age 81, "leaving a single room crammed with his colorful illustrations, a 15,000-page book, and no immediate surviving relatives," reports...
The Painting's Heads Had No
Eyes. Then, Suddenly, They Did
Feb 10, 2022 11:59 AM CST
The Painting's Heads Had No Eyes. Then, Suddenly, They Did
'Bored' security guard at Russia's Yeltsin Center is accused of doodling on painting insured for $1M
- When most people working a monotonous shift get bored, they might listen to a podcast, text a friend, or play a round of Wordle . Or, if you're a security guard at a museum, you might whip out a ballpoint pen and deface a piece of avant-garde art. The
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.