Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Artist Who Had to Prove
He Didn't Paint Picture
Jan 19, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Artist Who Had to Prove He Didn't Paint Picture Awarded $2.5M
Gallery claimed Peter Doig painted picture signed by former inmate Peter Doige
- Artist Peter Doig has been awarded a $2.5 million judgment by a federal judge in connection with a bizarre case that required him to prove a painting wasn't his work. In 2016, Doig was sued by a Chicago gallery after he disavowed a painting signed "P. Doige...
A New Reason Why Munch's
Famous Painting Is Screaming
Nov 12, 2022 9:00 AM CST
A New Reason Why Munch's Famous Painting Is Screaming
Climate activists tried to glue themselves to 'The Scream' at National Museum in Oslo, Norway
- Norwegian police said two climate activists tried in vain Friday to glue themselves to Edvard Munch's 1893 masterpiece
at an Oslo museum, and that no harm was reported to the famous painting. Police said they were alerted to the incident by Norway's National Museum and had...
Sale of Microsoft
Nov 10, 2022 8:19 AM CST
Sale of Microsoft Co-Founder's Art Smashes Records
It's the most valuable private collection ever auctioned at $1.5B—with 95 lots still to go
- Christie's $1 billion estimate of the value of Paul Allen's art collection turned out to be just a bit off. Sixty pieces sold for a combined $1.5 billion on Wednesday in the first of a two-day auction in New York—smashing the $922 million record for the...
For 77 Years, Nobody Noticed
It Was Hanging Upside Down
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
For 77 Years, Nobody Noticed It Was Hanging Upside Down
Exhibit curator finally noticed the gaffe with Mondrian's 'New York City I'
- Those who have admired and nodded meaningfully at Piet Mondrian's work "New York City I" in various museums over the years might be surprised to learn they were looking at it upside down. As Art News explains, it seems that somebody at New York City's Museum of...
'The Sky's the Limit' as Hidden
Warhol Work Heads to Auction
Oct 28, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
'The Sky's the Limit' as Hidden Warhol Work Heads to Auction
1963's 'White Disaster (White Car Crash 19 Times)' expected to fetch $80M or more
- A death-focused painting by Andy Warhol, not seen in public for 15 years, is headed for the auction block next month and is expected to fetch a massive sum—though not half as much as one of his more famous works . The "monumental masterpiece" dubbed "White Disaster (White...
Van Gogh Painting
Gets a Soup Bath
by Climate Activists
Oct 14, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Van Gogh Painting Gets a Soup Bath by Climate Activists
'Sunflowers' wasn't harmed after 'Just Stop Oil' protesters vandalized it in London's National Gallery
- Let's start off with the good news: The 1888 version of Vincent Van Gogh's
is just fine, even after it just got tomato soup dumped all over it. The bad news, at least for the pair of climate activists that carried out the vandalism, is that they'...
Isn't a Vermeer
Oct 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Turns Out, This Vermeer Isn't a Vermeer
'Girl With a Flute' was done by someone copying the artist's technique, says National Gallery of Art
- Only about three dozen paintings by the 17th-century Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer exist to this day. Now, however, researchers at the National Gallery of Art have subtracted one work from that relatively small mix, reports NPR . Using high-tech analysis to look "beneath" the surface of the painting, researchers concluded...
Meet 'Little Picasso,'
Celebs' Favorite New Artist
Sep 27, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Meet 'Little Picasso,' Celebs' Favorite New Artist
Paintings of Andres Valencia, 10, sold for 6 figures to the likes of Diane Keaton, Brooke Shields
- At age 10, Andres Valencia has already sold paintings in the six figures, and to celebrities including Sofia Vergara, Channing Tatum, Diane Keaton, and Brooke Shields. It's a level of success seldom achieved by the most experienced of the art world, let alone a fifth grader, per My Modern...
Freud Denied Painting It,
but the Questions Linger
Sep 25, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Freud Denied Painting It, but the Questions Linger
'New Yorker' digs into the history of a disputed work of art attributed to Lucian Freud
- Before he died in 2011 , the acclaimed British painter Lucian Freud adamantly denied painting a work that surfaced in the late 1990s and was being attributed to him. You might think that would be the final word on the subject. But as Sam Knight reports in a lengthy story in...
Brad Pitt Goes Public With
Sep 20, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Brad Pitt Goes Public With Self-Reflection Sculptures
He's 'taking account of those I may have hurt, moments I have just gotten wrong'
- Following in the footsteps of fellow actor Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt is making his non-film-related art public for the first time. The 58-year-old shocked art lovers in Finland on Saturday when he showed up to exhibit nine sculptures at Sara Hilden Art Museum in Tampere. His involvement in the larger...
2 Artists Tape Banana to Wall,
and Now It's in Federal Court
Aug 22, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
2 Artists Tape Banana to Wall, and Now It's in Federal Court
Odd legal fight is between American artist Joe Morford and Italian Maurizio Cattelan
- It's not often the worlds of art, the law, and duct-taped fruit intersect, but here we are. A California artist named Joe Morford is suing Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, claiming that Cattelan stole his idea about taping a banana to a wall, reports the
. Last month, a federal...
Mom in $140M
Aug 12, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Scammed Own Mom in $140M Psychic Ruse
Sabine Boghici, 48, and accomplices are accused of conning her 82-year-old mother for years
- A Brazilian woman was arrested this week and accused of recruiting a group of fake psychics to scam her own 82-year-old mother out of about $140 million in cash, artwork, and jewelry, reports the
. The alleged scheme began in January 2020, when Genevieve Boghici, the wealthy widow of...
Johnny Depp's Debut Art
Collection Sells Out in Hours
Jul 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Johnny Depp's Debut Art Collection Sells Out in Hours
It's Castle Fine Art's 'fastest-selling collection to date,' with $3.6M in sales
- Within hours, Johnny Depp went from being a somewhat secret painter to one with sales in the multi-millions. The actor unleashed his debut art collection on the world in a Thursday Instagram post , revealing prints for sale through Castle Fine Art's galleries, per the BBC . Its website was soon...
Hidden Sketches in
Jul 13, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
X-Rays Reveal Hidden Sketches in Famous Painting
'Nude With a Hat' is one of Modigliani's best-known works
- Curators at an Israeli museum have discovered three previously unknown sketches by celebrated 20th-century artist Amedeo Modigliani hiding beneath the surface of one of his paintings. The unfinished works by Modigliani, an Italian-born artist who worked in Paris before his death in 1920, came to light after the canvas of...
She Wants Sotheby's to
Pay Her Back for Her Chagall
Jul 10, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
She Wants Sotheby's to Pay Her Back for Her Chagall
A panel determined it was fake; Stephanie Clegg wants the auction house to pay up
- As Stephanie Clegg tells it, Sotheby's led her astray—more than once. In 1994 she purchased a work on paper by Marc Chagall from the auction house for $90,000. In 2008, Sotheby's reappraised "Le couple au bouquet de fleurs" at $100,000. In 2020, as she...
Meet One of the Art World's
Jul 2, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Meet One of the Art World's Fastest-Rising Stars
Anna Weyant commands 7 figures for her paintings these days
- If you happened across some of Anna Weyant's paintings in the summer of 2019, displayed on a beach towel at a Hamptons art fair and going for about $400 each, it would have been a wise investment to scoop one up. Because as the
Wall Street Journal
Hotel' Will Really
Make You Think
Jun 28, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
This 'Zero-Star Hotel' Will Really Make You Think
That's the goal, anyway, of art installation by twin brothers erected next to Swiss gas station
- Some people think best in the shower. Others may find they do their best ruminating while lying in bed in the middle of the street next to a gas station. The latter is what Frank and Patrik Riklin are banking on, anyway, with a concept they hope will spur people...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Picasso Painted His Lover as a
Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
May 18, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Picasso Painted His Lover as a Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
The painting fetched $67.5M
- Being depicted as a tentacled sea creature by your lover may not sound like the highest compliment. But when that lover is Pablo Picasso, well ... it's a whole other story.
Femme nue Couchée
, a painting that imagines Marie-Thérèse Walter as a five-limbed sea creature, sold for...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.