Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Macron Addresses French Role
in Sending Children to Deaths
Jul 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Macron Addresses French Role in Sending Children to Deaths
President denounces Nazi collaborators and promises to end Holocaust denial
- French President Emmanuel Macron decried his Nazi-collaborator predecessors and rising antisemitism, vigorously vowing to stamp out Holocaust denial as he paid homage Sunday to thousands of French children sent to death camps 80 years ago for one reason alone: They were Jewish. Family by family, house by house, French police...
Tapes Captured Eichmann
Saying What No Nazi Said
Jul 9, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Tapes Captured Eichmann Saying What No Nazi Said
Israeli filmmakers were given permission to use them in a documentary series
- The men who prosecuted Adolf Eichmann in 1961 had a 700-page transcript of taped conversations between Eichmann and fellow Nazi exile/Dutch journalist Willem Sassen in Argentina a few years prior. The transcript wasn't allowed to be used in court, where Eichmann insisted he was merely following orders and carried...
With a Big Archives Release,
a Pope's Legacy Is at Stake
Jun 24, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
With a Big Archives Release, a Pope's Legacy Is at Stake
Current pontiff Francis orders online posting of 'Jewish' files from archives of WWII era's Pius XII
- Pope Francis has ordered the online publication of 170 volumes of its so-called Jewish files from the recently opened Pope Pius XII archives, the Vatican announced Thursday, amid renewed debate about the legacy of its World War II-era pope. The documentation contains 2,700 files of requests for Vatican help...
Canada to Outlaw
Apr 10, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Canada to Outlaw Holocaust Denial
Legislation in the works to counter antisemitism
- With antisemitism on the rise, Canadian officials are moving to make it a crime to publicly deny or diminish the Holocaust. "The Holocaust was one of the darkest chapters in human history," said Irwin Cotler, special envoy on Holocaust remembrance and antisemitism. "We must preserve its memory,...
French Presidential Candidate
Sued for Holocaust Denial
Mar 29, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
French Presidential Candidate Sued for Holocaust Denial
Eric Zemmour doesn't believe French homosexuals were arrested, deported
- Nazi Germany considered homosexual people "socially aberrant," and they were persecuted harshly during the Holocaust. Tens of thousands were arrested or deported, hundreds of those in France, and the numbers are believed to be vastly under-reported. But according to far-right French presidential candidate Eric Zemmour, all of that...
of the Holocaust
Mar 14, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Survivor Told Generations About Horrors of the Holocaust
Leon Schwarzbaum, 101, visited German schools and appeared on TV and in film
- Leon Schwarzbaum, a survivor of the Nazis' death camp at Auschwitz and a lifelong fighter for justice for the victims of the Holocaust, has died. He was 101. Schwarzbaum died early Monday in Potsdam, near Berlin, the International Auschwitz Committee reported on its website. No cause of death was given,...
Israel Speaks Out After
Russian Attack Hits
Kyiv Holocaust Memorial
Mar 1, 2022 2:24 PM CST
Israel Speaks Out After Russian Attack Hits Kyiv Holocaust Memorial
Attack on nearby TV tower killed 5
- Holocaust remembrance organizations in Israel are condemning a Russian attack that inflicted damage to the Babi Yar Holocaust memorial. Israeli Foreign Minister Yair Lapid issued a statement denouncing the incident, and said Israel would help repair any damage. “We are calling for the preservation and respect for this sacred...
Doubt Cast on
in case you missed it
Feb 13, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Doubt Cast on 'Most Shocking Holocaust Item'
Tattoo stamps allegedly used at Auschwitz may have been made later
A tattoo kit touted as "the most shocking Holocaust item" may not date to the Holocaust at all. After the planned auction of the steel-needle stamps, which were allegedly used to tattoo Jews at Auschwitz, was blocked in November, the court asked Israel's Yad Vashem center to...
Feb 2, 2022 6:33 AM CST
Whoopi Goldberg Suspended From
Despite a second, on-air apology
- Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from
after she said on Monday's show that the Holocaust wasn't about race . "Effective immediately, I am suspending Whoopi Goldberg for two weeks for her wrong and hurtful comments," ABC News president Kim Godwin said Tuesday in a statement...
Feb 1, 2022 12:26 AM CST
Whoopi Goldberg's Holocaust Comments Land Poorly
'The View' host said genocide wasn't about race
- Whoopi Goldberg is taking a lot of criticism for comments she made Monday as
tackled the subject of
being banned in a Tennessee school district . The graphic novel is about the Holocaust, but it was nudity in the book that got it banned, and as the co-hosts...
Jan 31, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Publisher Apologizes for Anne Frank Revelation
Printing of book will stop while skepticism about findings is answered
: Publication of a book that received worldwide attention when it was released this month has been suspended, and the publisher has apologized for
The Betrayal of Anne Frank.
Historians and researchers had immediately questioned its main finding—that Arnold van den Bergh had turned in Anne Frank and her...
After School Board Bans
It Soars on Amazon
Jan 31, 2022 3:54 AM CST
After School Board Bans
It Soars on Amazon
They objected to language, violence in Art Spiegelman's Holocaust book
A Tennessee school board's decision to keep Art Spiegelman's
out of the hands of 8th-graders has fueled a buying spree. Mediaite reports that as of Sunday, the hardcover format of
The Complete Maus
is the No. 1 best seller on Amazon in the books category . Other...
Jan 28, 2022 4:47 PM CST
After Holocaust Remembrance, Swastikas
Nazi symbols appear on Union Station, near US Capitol
- Swastikas were found to have defaced the exterior of Washington's Union Station on Friday, less than a mile from the nation's Capitol. "Sickening. Yesterday was Holocaust Remembrance Day," Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez tweeted . President Biden had used the occasion to caution against a "resurgence of...
Groups Object to Kennedy's
'Anne Frank' Comment
Jan 24, 2022 5:39 PM CST
Groups Object to Kennedy's 'Anne Frank' Comment
Anti-vax leader was arguing COVID restrictions violate individual rights
- Anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. drew condemnation Monday for his suggestion that things are worse for people today than they were for Anne Frank, the teenager who died in a Nazi concentration camp after hiding with her family in an Amsterdam house for two years. Several Jewish advocacy and...
Warned of Far Right
as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
Jan 1, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Holocaust Survivor Warned of Far Right as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
In a viral video, Gertrude Pressburger urged young people to vote in Austria's presidential election
- Holocaust survivor Gertrude Pressburger, who became famous during Austria's 2016 presidential campaign with a video message in which "Mrs. Gertrude" warned of hatred and exclusion triggered by the far right, has died at 94. Pressburger died Friday after a long illness, her family said Saturday. The AP reports...
Third-Graders Say They Were
Told to Reenact Holocaust
Dec 20, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Third-Graders Say They Were Told to Reenact Holocaust
Washington, DC, third-graders said that included pretending to dig mass graves
- An elementary school staffer in Washington, DC, has been put on leave after making a "poor instructional decision." The
details what allegedly happened at Watkins Elementary School during a Friday library class in which third-graders were supposed to be doing research. Per the
New York Times
Survey Finds Awareness of
Major Holocaust Fact Is Lacking
Nov 10, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Survey Finds Awareness of Major Holocaust Fact Is Lacking
52% of UK respondents didn't know how many Jews were murdered
- A survey released Wednesday found what organizers say is a lack of awareness in Britain about the Holocaust and a major episode in the country's rescue of Jews ahead of World War II, reports the AP . The Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, a New York-based group that...
Nov 9, 2021 5:46 PM CST
Howard Schultz Makes Starbucks, Holocaust Comparison
Some people thought it missed the mark
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is Jewish, but that fact isn't lessening the scrutiny around a Holocaust comparison he made Saturday. He was speaking to workers in the Buffalo, New York, area who are looking to unionize, and tried to emphasize Starbucks' history of doing right by its employees....
Germany to Compensate
Jewish Survivors of
Siege of Leningrad
Oct 6, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Germany to Compensate Jewish Survivors of Siege of Leningrad
Agreement secures pensions for 6.5K Holocaust survivors
- A German program to compensate Holocaust survivors for their suffering in World War II has been expanded to cover around 6,500 more survivors, including thousands of Jews who survived the siege of Leningrad. They will receive the equivalent of $435 a month for the rest of their lives under...
Now Covers Auschwitz
Oct 6, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Antisemitic Graffiti Now Covers Auschwitz
9 barracks vandalized Tuesday with English, German slurs
- Antisemitic terms and other phrases denying the Holocaust appeared Tuesday on at least nine buildings at the site of the former Nazi German death camp Auschwitz, where at least 1.1 million prisoners died during the Holocaust, 90% of whom were Jews. The spray-painted graffiti was written in English and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche 'Wasn't Doing Real Well' at Crash Scene
30-Year-Old Cold Case Closed With Surprise Discovery
Another Company Tells China It's Sorry, Twice
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.