Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 28, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
America Is Aging Quickly
Share of people 65 and older surges, while the share of children declines
- The United States grew older, faster, last decade. The share of residents 65 or older grew by more than a third from 2010 to 2020 and at the fastest rate of any decade in 130 years, while the share of children declined, according to new figures from the most recent...
Jan 29, 2023 10:10 AM CST
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Nation's population center is poised to move south, instead of westward
- The US population center is on track this decade to take a southern swerve for the first time in history. Last year, the South outgrew other US regions by well over 1 million people through births outpacing deaths and domestic and international migration, according to population estimates from the US...
Here's How Much the
World Grew in the Past Year
Dec 31, 2021 12:06 AM CST
Here's How Much the World Grew in the Past Year
By 74M people, according to US Census Bureau
- The world’s population is projected to be 7.8 billion people on New Year’s Day 2022, according to the US Census Bureau. That represents an increase of 74 million people, or a 0.9% growth rate from New Year’s Day 2021, the AP reports. Starting in the...
'Heart of America' Has
Shifted 11.8 Miles South
Nov 17, 2021 1:23 AM CST
'Heart of America' Has Shifted 11.8 Miles South
Hartville, Mo., is the closest town to the middle of the US when it comes to population
- Some people might describe Hartville, Mo., as being in the middle of nowhere, but the US Census Bureau on Tuesday announced that it's the closest town to the middle of the nation, the AP reports. The hamlet of about 600 people in the Missouri Ozarks is located about 15...
For First Time in History,
White Population Shrinks
Aug 12, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
For First Time in History, White Population Shrinks
Census: White people now account for 57.8% of the nation, the lowest percentage in history
- The Census Bureau is out with more stats from the 2020 count, and one big takeaway is that the white population dipped for the first time in history. All in all, the nation is “much more multiracial and much more racially and ethnically diverse than what we measured in...
New Yorkers Get a Lesson
on Returning Census Forms
Apr 27, 2021 9:06 AM CDT
New Yorkers Get a Lesson on Returning Census Forms
If only 89 more people had returned 2020 forms, state would not have lost a House seat
- New census numbers released Monday show that US population growth has slowed significantly in the last decade. The numbers also confirm that the population continues to shift to the West and the South and away from the Northeast and the Midwest, notes Intelligencer . A look at some of the other...
Is Coming to Pass
Apr 27, 2021 2:07 AM CDT
Demographers' Warning Is Coming to Pass
US population growth at second-slowest level ever
- US population growth has slowed to the lowest rate since the Great Depression, the Census Bureau said Monday, as Americans continued their march to the South and West and one-time engines of growth, New York and California, lost political influence. Altogether, the US population rose to 331,449,281 last...
House Seats to
Apr 26, 2021 5:01 PM CDT
Census Moves House Seats to Texas, Florida
Republicans to benefit right away, but possibly not in the long run
- The nation's political center of gravity shifted farther to the Republican-led South and West on Monday, with Texas, Florida, and other Sun Belt states gaining congressional seats while chillier climes like New York and Ohio lost them. Altogether, the US population rose to 331,449,281, the Census Bureau...
Census Bureau Chief
Quits Amid Heavy Criticism
Jan 18, 2021 3:38 PM CST
Census Bureau Chief Quits Amid Heavy Criticism
Dems accuse Dillingham of politicizing the census
- Facing criticism over efforts to produce citizenship data to comply with an order from President Trump, US Census Bureau director Steven Dillingham said Monday that he plans to resign with the change in presidential administrations. Dillingham, whose term doesn't expire until the end of 2021, said in a statement...
Make a Big
Nov 8, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Census Takers Make a Big Accusation
'I felt terrible, terrible. I knew I was lying.'
- Two census takers told the AP that their supervisors pressured them to enter false information into a computer system about homes they had not visited so they could close cases during the waning days of the once-a-decade national headcount. Maria Arce said her supervisor in Massachusetts offered step-by-step instructions in...
Supreme Court Halts Census
Oct 13, 2020 5:31 PM CDT
Supreme Court Halts Census
Top court grants administration's emergency request
- The Supreme Court has granted the White House's emergency request for the Census Bureau to stop counting Americans. The Trump administration filed the request with the top court after a federal appeals court refused to suspend an order from a lower court preventing the 2020 census from finishing a...
Takes Census Fight
to Supreme Court
Oct 8, 2020 12:42 AM CDT
White House Takes Census Fight to Supreme Court
Trump administration asks high court to let it stop the 2020 count
- The ongoing census battle has reached the highest court in the land. After a federal judge ordered the 2020 census to continue through the end of October and a US appeals court on Wednesday refused to reverse that ruling, the Trump administration that same day filed an emergency request with...
Judge Stops Census
From Finishing Early
Sep 25, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Judge Stops Census From Finishing Early
Federal judge says count must go on
- A federal judge has stopped the 2020 census from finishing at the end of September and ordered the once-a-decade head count of every US resident to continue for another month through the end of October, saying a shortened schedule likely would produce inaccurate results. US District Judge Lucy Koh in...
Judges Don't Buy Attempt by
Trump to Not Count Everyone
Sep 10, 2020 7:07 PM CDT
Judges Don't Buy Attempt by Trump to Not Count Everyone
President's plan would exclude undocumented immigrants when dividing House seats
- President Trump's order to not count undocumented immigrants when deciding how to allocate US House seats was blocked Thursday. Lawsuits had been filed challenging Trump's order, but a three-judge panel in New York said the plan is so clearly illegal that there's no need for a trial,...
Census Cuts Itself Short, Many
Fear 'Massive Undercount'
Jul 31, 2020 7:35 AM CDT
Census Cuts Itself Short, Many Fear 'Massive Undercount'
Census Bureau reportedly ending door-knocking efforts earlier than expected amid WH pressure
- About 40% of US homes haven't responded to census questionnaires for this year's mandated count, so the Census Bureau has started sending out door knockers. But those efforts may be cut short, amid an apparent push by the bureau to wrap things up much earlier than expected—a...
Trump Makes Another
Big Census Move
Jul 21, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
Trump Makes Another Big Census Move
Orders undocumented immigrants to be excluded when determining congressional representation
- President Trump, apparently undaunted by the failure of last year's effort to add a citizenship question to the census, is taking another shot at narrowing its definition of "persons." In a memo issued Tuesday, Trump called for undocumented immigrants to be excluded from the count when determining...
Displacement During Pandemic
Is Complicating the Count
May 10, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Displacement During Pandemic Is Complicating the Count
Plans after the outbreak affect answer on census form
- It's not meant to be a trick question, but many filling out their 2020 US census form struggle to answer: How many people were staying at your home on April 1? The pandemic has fostered sudden dislocation, making a typically easy question confusing, the AP reports. Some people living...
Census Day Is Here
Apr 1, 2020 3:27 AM CDT
Census Day Is Here
Bureau says it is 'laser-focused' on completing count
- Census Day—the date used to reference where a person lives for the once-a-decade count—arrived Wednesday with a nation almost paralyzed by the spread of the coronavirus. But census officials vowed the job would be completed by its year-end deadline. The virus' spread has forced the US Census Bureau...
Census Wants to Know:
Who Is 'Person 1' in House?
Feb 24, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Census Wants to Know: Who Is 'Person 1' in House?
The AP points out possibility for odd conversations
- The 2020 census will not have a controversial citizenship question . But as the AP points out, it will have one with the potential to cause awkward—or maybe funny—conversations. Who is "Person 1" in the household? The form itself tries to go about it in the least controversial...
On the Bering Sea
Jan 19, 2020 11:55 AM CST
Challenging Census Begins Tuesday On the Bering Sea
Terrain and language barriers complicate the count in Alaskan village
- There are no restaurants in Toksook Bay, Alaska. No motels or factories. Or roads, even. But the first Americans to be counted in the 2020 census live in this tiny community of 661, at last count, on the edge of the American expanse. Their homes are huddled in a windswept...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
As Elections Approach, Musk's X Makes a 'Concerning' Move
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.