Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Longtime Sidekick Dies
Nov 28, 2023 5:42 PM CST
Warren Buffett's Longtime Sidekick Dies
Charlie Munger was a month away from turning 100
- Charlie Munger, who helped Warren Buffett build Berkshire Hathaway into an investment powerhouse, has died at a California hospital. He was 99. Berkshire Hathaway said in a statement that Munger's family told the company that he died Tuesday morning at the hospital just over a month before his 100th...
These Companies Just Made
Fortune 500's Top 10
Jun 6, 2023 4:26 PM CDT
These Companies Just Made Fortune 500's Top 10
Walmart takes top spot in annual ranking of largest US firms
has released its annual Fortune 500 rankings, its 69th version of the list of the country's largest corporations, based on revenue for 2022's fiscal year. Per a release , a company had to bring in $7.2 billion to be included, a jump of 13% from last...
Feb 25, 2023 1:40 PM CST
Buffett Rips Criticism of Buybacks
Berkshire Hathaway posts quarterly drop in operating profit
- Operating earnings are the best way to assess profitability, Warren Buffett says. On Saturday, Berkshire Hathaway released results showing operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2022 was $6.7 billion, almost 8% off third-quarter earnings of $7.8 billion, CNN reports. All told, earnings fell 125% for a loss...
Nov 5, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Berkshire Posts Quarterly Loss
Operating profits climb though results were hurt by rising fuel costs, Hurricane Ian
- Despite a strong performance by its businesses in several sectors, Berkshire Hathaway posted a third-quarter loss on Saturday. Warren Buffett's conglomerate announced a net loss of $2.69 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, following a $10.34 billion profit in the same period last year. Operating earnings, on...
Aug 6, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Berkshire Hathaway Posts $43B Loss
Buffett's operation feels drop in stock prices
- Berkshire Hathaway reported a $43.8 billion second-quarter loss on Saturday, largely driven by the drop in the stock prices of its biggest investments. In the same period last year, Warren Buffett's operation posted a profit of $28.1 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Still, Berkshire managed to...
Apr 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Berkshire Shareholders Receive Update in Person
Buffett discusses new investments, inflation
- Thousands of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders returned in person Saturday for their annual meeting heard Warren Buffett update them about investments and rail about the widespread harm inflation is doing. The pandemic had prevented the gathering in Omaha for the past two years. After earlier saying that inflation "swindles" equity...
Pay Off for
Feb 26, 2022 3:55 PM CST
Buybacks Pay Off for Buffett, Berkshire
Apple investment is working out, too, annual letter to shareholders says
- Warren Buffett has made plenty of major acquisitions, but he told shareholders Saturday that he hasn't run across any exciting big deals lately. So he and Vice Chairman Charlie Munger have been putting Berkshire Hathaway's cash to use buying back company shares, he told shareholders in his annual...
His Dorm Design Is Likened
to 'Psychological Experiment'
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
His Dorm Design Is Likened to 'Psychological Experiment'
Billionaire Charlie Munger is paying for a largely windowless dorm on California coast at UCSB
- It's good to be the king. Or if you have enough money, it might even be good to be the architect. However, one billionaire's foray into the field is generating all kinds of controversy in California. The unusual tale:
Charlie Munger, the 97-year-old right-hand man to
May 3, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Buffett Makes Successor Known
Greg Abel is next up to run Berkshire Hathaway, followed by Ajit Jain
- Warren Buffett said Monday that he's chosen his successor from his vice chairmen, though he didn't say anything about retiring. Greg Abel, 58, who's already in charge of Berkshire Hathaway's noninsurance business, would become chief executive, CNBC reports. Next in line is Ajit Jain, 69, who...
but Puts Money
Feb 27, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Famed Investor Lists Concerns but Puts Money on America
Buffett: Progress in creating a more perfect nation often has been discouraging
- Warren Buffett has been unusually quiet during the pandemic, but he's kept his annual appointment with his shareholders. The chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway released his closely watched assessment Saturday, Axios reports. On many fronts, Buffett expressed frustration in the letter . The nation still holds onto its...
Investor Makes $12B on
Biggest Software IPO Ever
Sep 17, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Investor Makes $12B on Biggest Software IPO Ever
Snowflake has a massive debut
- If you're hearing the word "snowflake" a lot today, it has nothing to do with politics. Snowflake the tech company is coming off the largest software IPO in history on Wednesday, reports CNN . The company priced its shares for the initial public offering at $120, but they opened...
Out of $703M
in case you missed it
May 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Warren Buffett Allegedly Swindled Out of $703M
German manufacturing company has been ordered to pay it back
- Even the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway is apparently not immune to losing millions due to fraud. A German manufacturing company allegedly swindled Warren Buffett out of more than $703 million, the
reports. A unit of Berkshire Hathaway paid more than $875 million for the family-run company, Wilhelm...
Female CEOs Just Made
a Record Fortune 500 List
May 19, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Female CEOs Just Made a Record Fortune 500 List
37 of the companies in the annual ranking are run by women—a record high
- This year's Fortune 500 list is out, and the top 10 companies are the same ones that made it in 2019, with Walmart in the No. 1 spot for the eighth year in a row. The real story attracting buzz, though, is that 37 of the companies are led...
Dumped All His
May 3, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Warren Buffett Dumped All His Airline Stocks
To the tune of $4B amid pandemic fallout
- More bad news for the airline industry: The Oracle of Omaha has jumped ship. Warren Buffett says that his Berkshire Hathaway has unloaded its airline stocks—to the tune of about $4 billion, reports CNBC . "The world has changed for the airlines," Buffett said during a much scaled-down...
Move Over, Buffett. There's
a New No. 3 on Richest List
Jul 8, 2018 9:01 AM CDT
Move Over, Buffett. There's a New No. 3 on Richest List
Mark Zuckerberg had a very good day on Friday
- Facebook shares climbed 2.4% on Friday to a record $203.23, reports Bloomberg , a performance fine enough to vault founder Mark Zuckerberg past the vaunted Oracle of Omaha on the list of the world's richest people. The surge put Zuck at a net worth of $81.6 billion,...
3 Corporate Giants to Go
After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Jan 30, 2018 8:22 AM CST
3 Corporate Giants to Go After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Amazon, JPMorgan, Berkshire Hathaway will team up on health care
- "The ballooning costs of health care act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy," says Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, and he has teamed up with some equally huge names in an attempt to go after said tapeworm. Amazon.com, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase on Tuesday...
Have a Cherry Coke,
Get a Warren Buffett Smile
Apr 4, 2017 7:33 AM CDT
Have a Cherry Coke, Get a Warren Buffett Smile
Billionaire's face is being used on Cherry Coke cans in China
- Amazon's Jeff Bezos may have knocked Warren Buffett into third place on the world's richest people list, but only one of them has been deemed worthy of gracing Cherry Coke cans in China—and it's not Bezos. For a limited time, Coca-Cola is splashing Buffett's mug...
Buffett Has Bought $12B
in Stocks Since Trump Win
Feb 1, 2017 2:29 AM CST
Buffett Has Bought $12B in Stocks Since Trump Win
He's now world's 2nd-richest man
- Warren Buffett didn't want Donald Trump to be president—but the Berkshire Hathaway chief didn't get rich by ignoring investment opportunities. In a recent interview with Charlie Rose , the billionaire revealed that his company has invested more than $12 billion in stocks since Trump won the election, more...
2 Big Names
Join Forces in
Bid to Buy Yahoo
May 16, 2016 8:48 AM CDT
2 Big Names Join Forces in Bid to Buy Yahoo
Quicken Loans founder/Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and Warren Buffett
- The second round of bidding for Yahoo is underway, and a couple of bidders are getting an outsize amount of attention: what the
New York Times
terms the "unusual" pairing of Quicken Loans founder/Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and Warren Buffett. (Though maybe not so unusual: CNBC reports the...
Buffett: Candidates Wrong About the Economy
Feb 27, 2016 9:26 AM CST
Buffett: Candidates Wrong About the Economy
They're exaggerating how bad it is, he complains
- The US economy is in better shape than the presidential candidates make it seem, investor Warren Buffett said Saturday. In his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders, Buffett didn't name specific candidates or issues, but noted that the negative drumbeat about the economy, health care reform, and income inequality...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.