Financial disclosure forms from 2009 are in, and the Hill has ranked the 50 wealthiest lawmakers (27 Democrats and 23 Republicans) from the House and Senate. Here's the top 5:
- John Kerry, $188.6 million: Kerry's wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is the source of his wealth, though the $188.6 million is something of an estimate—several assets are listed as being worth "over $1,000,000."
- Rep. Darrell Issa, $160.1 million: His net worth actually dropped by $4 million in 2009 because of investment loses. His wealth came from his founding of a company that makes car security alarms.
- Rep. Jane Harman, $152.3 million: Her wealth comes from the value of husband Sidney's Harman International. Their company stock ballooned in value from to $55 million in 2009 from $31 million.
- Sen. Jay Rockefeller, $83.7 million: Trusts established by his oil tycoon great-grandfather are still doing pretty well.
- Rep. Michael McCaul, $73.8 million: He sprinted up the ranking as his wife's stake in LLM Partners grew by $25 million. His father-in-law founded Clear Channel Communications.
Click over to the Hill
for the remaining 45.
(Read more John Kerry