Cops: We Know What Killed US Tourists in Bahamas

Carbon monoxide was to blame; case remains 'under active investigation'
By Evann Gastaldo,  Newser Staff
Posted May 24, 2022 12:52 AM CDT
Updated Jun 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Carbon Monoxide the Culprit in Bahamas Resort Visitor Deaths
The bridge connecting Great Exuma and Little Exuma.   (Getty Images / Thomas Kloc)

Update: It's confirmed: The three Americans in their 60s found dead in neighboring rooms at a Bahamas resort last month indeed "died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning," according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force. It adds the case "remains under active investigation," per CNN. Michael and Robbie Phillips of Tennessee and Vincent Paul Chiarella of Florida were found dead in their rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay resort on the island of Exuma after visiting a doctor. Chiarella's wife survived to be airlifted to her home state. It's unclear whether their rooms had carbon monoxide detectors. Following the deaths, Sandals said it would install detectors in all of the resort's rooms, per CBS News. Our original story from May 24 follows:

The American tourists who died at a Bahamas resort were reportedly killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. The pathologist is expected to soon release the official autopsy results and toxicology findings, the Nassau Guardian reports; that paper and the Tribune published stories in advance of the official release. The health minister says officials believe the deaths were isolated events and there is no concern for public health; the two couples who were affected were staying in villas that were next to each other at Sandals Emerald Bay resort on Exuma. Only one woman survived the tragedy earlier this month. (More Bahamas stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.