No one could say "Bond, James Bond," quite like he did. But tributes to the life of Sean Connery—who died Saturday at age 90—reveal a deeper awe and affection for a man who touched many lives around him, Variety reports. Among their reactions:
- Daniel Craig: "Sir Sean Connery will be remembered as Bond and so much more," he said, per the BBC. "He defined an era and a style. The wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in megawatts; he helped create the modern blockbuster."
- Tippi Hedren: "An elegant man, a brilliant actor and an over all amazing individual," she said. "Not to mention extremely attractive."
- Courtney B. Vance: "Through it all, Mr. Connery never lost the core of his Scottish roots, no matter the cost," the actor told the Hollywood Reporter. "He refused to be 'bought.' And I think that was the source of his appeal to his legions of fans."
- George Lucas: "He will always hold a special place in my heart as Indy's dad," said the filmmaker. "With an air of intelligent authority and sly sense of comedic mischief, only someone like Sean Connery could render Indiana Jones immediately into boyish regret or relief through a stern fatherly chiding or rejoiceful hug."
- Alec Baldwin: "He'd give me advice, but he'd never push anything on me," he wrote to Rolling Stone. When Baldwin said he wasn't going to the see the dailies for The Hunt for Red October, Connery told him: "'Oh, you must! You must go to the rushes, boy! How will you ever learn?!' And I just thought, wow. You know, he wasn't chatty—he was there to work."
- Sam Neill: "Every day on set with Sean Connery was an object lesson in how to act on screen," he said. "But all that charisma and power—that was utterly unique to Sean. RIP that great man, that great actor."
- Kevin Smith: "He was my Dad's James Bond," he tweeted. "I have sweet memories of watching Dad watch his movie idol. So Sean Connery's passing also feels like I'm losing Dad again."
- Roger Moore's family: "How infinitely sad to hear the news Sir Sean Connery has passed away," they tweeted. "He and Roger were friends for many decades and Roger always maintained Sean was the best ever James Bond."
(Read more Sean Connery