Axe Body Spray Does It Again: Bus Evacuated

About 15 students suffer 'mild respiratory irritation'
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Dec 11, 2019 7:19 PM CST
Updated Dec 12, 2019 1:00 AM CST

Like Axe Body Spray? These 30 Florida school children may never like it again. Their Manatee Country School District bus was pulled over and evacuated Monday after an "excessive amount" of the product was released inside, Fox News reports. "It was a unified command decision to call out secondary bus to be dispatched to pick up the stranded students," said a local fire department, and "all students were triaged and prioritized according to their initial complaint." About half of them were treated for "mild respiratory irritation" and released, per Fox 5. Authorities are considering it a prank and looking at bus cameras to see who pulled it.

Oddly, Axe has run afoul of the law before. A leaking spray can caused a child care center and church to be evacuated in Seattle in March 2016—and even led to a hazardous materials team being called in to get rid of it, per Newsweek. Three years earlier, reckless Axe spraying forced a Brooklyn school to be cleared out and sent 10 students into medical care. And in 2008, an adolescent in the UK died after spraying too much of it in a small bathroom. A 2012 Fast Company profile of the company notes that Axe is no "fine fragrance" with "differently weighted molecules": "Axe doesn't bother with these subtleties; its pants come right off," says the article. "Boom. In your face." (More school bus stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.