Police: Evidence Ties Brother to NJ Mansion Murders

Paul Caneiro has been charged with murder of his brother and his brother's family
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 25, 2019 1:24 PM CST
Indictment: Money the Motive Behind NJ Mansion Murders
In this Nov. 30, 2018 file photo, Paul Caneiro appears in Monmouth County Superior Court for a detention hearing in Freehold, NJ.   (Patti Sapone/NJ Advance Media via AP, Pool)

Suspicious of his brother over missing money from two companies they owned in Asbury Park, New Jersey, Keith Caneiro on Nov. 19 emailed two business associates last fall, saying he was going to cut off further payments to his brother, Paul. The next day, Keith and his family were found dead in their burning mansion in Colts Neck. Paul was arrested on arson and other charges. On Monday, authorities unsealed court documents charging Paul with the murders of Keith, 50; his wife, Jennifer, 45; and their 11-year-old son Jesse and 8-year-old daughter Sophia, detailing evidence tying him to the killings. An affidavit filed by law enforcement says that the email Keith sent said that until the missing money was found, payment to Paul's wife would be discontinued (because Paul was disabled from a car accident, his salary was being paid to her).

Keith was 90% owner of Squareone Inc., a technology firm, with his brother owning the remaining 10%. The brothers were equal owners of a second business, EcoStar Pest Management. Keith wanted to sell one of the businesses and "was frustrated with Paul and the amount of money Paul spent from their business accounts," according to the affidavit. Officers searching Paul's house in Ocean Township found a plastic container in the basement containing bloody clothing and a latex glove, according to court documents. The AP reports the blood was later determined to have come from Sophia, and her DNA was found on a knife recovered at the crime scene, according to law enforcement officers. Police say both children were stabbed, their mother was shot and stabbed, and their father was shot five times. Paul has pleaded not guilty. (Paul's behavior reportedly changed after the accident.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.