US /

Middle Schoolers Hospitalized After Valentine's Candy

It's not clear what type of treats were eaten in Atlanta incident
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 14, 2019 5:48 PM CST
21 Students Get Sick After Eating Valentine's Day Treats
This is a stock photo; it's not clear what kind of treats the students involved in this incident ate.   (Getty Images / AnnaPustynnikova)

School officials say 21 students from a middle school south of Atlanta have been taken to hospitals after eating candy and snacks on Valentine's Day, the AP reports. Authorities with the city of South Fulton say it appeared that the Sandtown Middle School students became ill after eating some type of candy Thursday. They say the children experienced shortness of breath and other reactions.

City spokeswoman Ashley Minter-Osanyinbi says the students were taken to two local hospitals. Fulton County Schools spokeswoman Susan Romanick says the students were first evaluated by paramedics, and then taken to two Children's Healthcare of Atlanta campuses. Romanick said she didn't know what type of candy and snacks were eaten. She said that question is part of an investigation being done by the school system's police department. (In another recent candy incident, THC turned out to be the culprit.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.