Andrew Gillum pulled off an upset victory in Florida on Tuesday to become the state's first black nominee for governor, the AP reports. The Bernie Sanders-backed liberal Democrat, currently the mayor of Tallahassee, will run against President Trump-endorsed Republican Rep. Ron DeSantis, Fox News reports, results that the AP says "immediately transformed the Florida race into one of the most closely watched gubernatorial campaigns in the country." The Huffington Post says the November election will be "a referendum" on the president. Trump congratulated DeSantis on Twitter after his win. More from the primaries in Florida and Arizona, both closely watched political battleground states, plus a runoff election in Oklahoma on Tuesday:
- Florida Senate race: Current Florida Gov. Rick Scott, who is term-limited in that role, won the GOP nomination and will run against incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, who ran unopposed in the Democratic primary and is seen as vulnerable.
- Arizona Senate race: Rep. Kyrsten Sinema was projected by CNN to win the Democratic primary, while NBC News projected Rep. Martha McSally to win the Republican primary over fellow contenders former Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Kelli Ward, who was recently forced to apologize for comments she made about John McCain shortly before his death. McSally is aiming to replace Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, who is not seeking re-election; McCain's seat will be filled by Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey after McCain is buried.
- Arizona gubernatorial race: The incumbent Ducey won the Republican primary; he will face Arizona State University professor David Garcia, an education policy expert and projected winner of the Democratic primary, in November, the Hill reports.
- House races: Follow Arizona results here and Florida results here.
- Oklahoma gubernatorial runoff: Political newcomer Kevin Stitt won the GOP nomination to replace current Republican Gov. Mary Fallin, who is constrained by term limits, the AP reports. The mortgage company owner will face Democrat Drew Edmondson and Libertarian Chris Powell in November. More results from Oklahoma races here.
- For more: CNN offers a hub with live primary updates here. ABC News has live updates here, including a note that the mother of a slain Parkland student has won a school board seat in Florida.
(Read more primaries