Eyes Turn to Difficult-to-Predict Hurricane Jose

One model gives it a 25% chance of hitting US next week
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 12, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Eyes Turn to Difficult-to-Predict Hurricane Jose
This forecast shows where Hurricane Jose might reach by Sunday.   (National Hurricane Center)

Those already battered by one or two hurricanes don't want to hear that misfortune comes in threes. Following in the wake of Harvey and Irma late Monday, Hurricane Jose was a Category 1 storm near the southeast tip of the Bahamas, centered about 400 miles north-northeast of Turks and Caicos, reports the Sun Sentinel. According to Weather Underground, the hurricane is expected to weaken over the next few days as it makes "a slow clockwise loop" in the Atlantic, passing over cool water it previously churned up. Where the storm will go from there is difficult to predict, but some models suggest it will regain some strength as it moves west-northwest toward the US beginning Thursday.

That would put the storm on a path to hit the eastern Bahamas on Friday before continuing toward Florida. The National Hurricane Center predicts it will be a Category 1 hurricane with 90mph winds by Saturday. It could technically reach the east coast of the US by next Tuesday, but one model gives it only a 25% chance of hitting the US, a 25% chance of hitting Canada, and a 50% chance of heading out to sea, per Quartz. Given the uncertainty of its path, a rep for the National Hurricane Center says "right now there is no concern for any land" so "no one needs to be freaking out about Jose," per the Miami Herald. A National Weather Service meteorologist adds that the storm will be monitored but "we want everyone to concentrate on recovering from Irma." (Read more Hurricane Jose stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.