Elizabeth Berkley got her Sally Field moment over the weekend when she attended an outdoor screening of her 1995 debacle Showgirls as part of Cinespia’s Hollywood Forever Cemetery series, which is indeed held in the cemetery. While some would argue that it is the film that should be buried, about 4,000 fans attended the LA screening, according to Gawker. For Berkley, it was the realization of an experience she missed out on 20 years ago. "When it first came out ... the sweetness of a premiere eluded me since it had been met with such disdain and controversy," she writes on Instagram. "Amazing how life works in mysterious ways."
The former Saved By the Bell star was dragged through the mud when Showgirls was initially released—an experience she called "humiliating" in a 2013 interview. "It was a bit of a difficult time for me personally, because a lot of doors were shut at that time," Berkley told Variety. "I had to find my strength and my confidence and go back out there again," she said of her decision to stop dancing for a while after it debuted. At Saturday’s screening, the 42-year-old said the belated embrace of Showgirls was magical. "I wanted to thank you guys for giving me this gift of truly getting a full-circle moment of experiencing the joy with you because you guys and the love you have for this movie have made this the cult film that it is," she said. (Read more showgirls stories.)