Man With 'Microwave Popcorn Lung' Awarded $7M

Fake butter fumes sickened man who ate 2 bags a day
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Sep 20, 2012 2:03 AM CDT
Man With 'Microwave Popcorn Lung' Awarded $7M
Wayne Watson demonstrates how he used to smell the steam after opening a bag of popcorn.   (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski)

A jury has awarded $7 million to a Colorado man who contracted a chronic lung condition from a different kind of two-pack-a-day habit. Wayne Watson sued a supermarket chain and a popcorn maker after becoming ill with "microwave popcorn lung," CBS 4 reports. A lung specialist testified that Watson's condition was the result of microwaving two bags of popcorn a day for a decade and inhaling the chemical dicetyl, used in artificial butter.

The condition caused by the additive, which is no longer in use, had only previously been seen in popcorn factory workers. "Who would ever reasonably think that popping popcorn in your own home, no matter how it’s packaged or processed, would all of a sudden turn into an agent for toxic lung disease," said Watson, whose lawyers argued that there should have been a warning label. Lawyers for the defendants disagreed, saying they "might have well have warned that there are aliens popping out of the bags because there's just as much support for that." (Read more popcorn stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.