E-Cigarette Explodes in Man's Mouth

Blast knocks out all his teeth, burns face
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Feb 16, 2012 3:00 AM CST
E-Cigarette Explodes in Man's Mouth
Electronic smoking devices are not currently regulated by the FDA.   (Getty Images)

Scary news for electronic smokers: A 57-year-old man in Florida suffered serious injuries when an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, ABC reports. The explosion knocked out all the man's teeth and part of his tongue, and severely burned his face. "The best analogy is that it was like trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off," says the police officer who responded to the call. "The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire."

The brand of e-cigarette or age of the device isn't known, but investigators say it appears that the battery was rechargeable lithium, and that a faulty battery caused the blast. The co-founder of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association says 2.5 million Americans, mostly ex-smokers, use the devices, and this is the first such incident reported. "There have been billions and billions of puffs on the cigarettes, and we have not heard of this happening before," he says. (Read more electronic cigarette stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X