4 Burned in Fiery Dessert Disaster

Attempt to make bananas foster table-side goes horribly wrong
By Sarah Whitmire,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 13, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
4 Burned in Fiery Dessert Disaster
The table of four really didn't anticipate that much heat with their dessert.   (Shutterstock)

We're guessing this waiter didn't walk away with a tip: A Tampa Bay server's attempt to serve bananas foster table-side ended up burning four diners, two of whom were hospitalized. The mishap happened Saturday night at Ozona Blue Grill in Palm Harbor, reports MyFox Tampa Bay. "The waiter was making a dessert dish that involved alcohol that goes in flames," said a member of Palm Harbor Fire Rescue.

"At one point, he was adding some more liquid to it, or more alcohol to it and it burned back to the bottle. When he lifted the bottle to pull away from it, some of it came out and hit some of the patrons." A 25-year-old female suffered first and second degree burns, and a 56-year-old female had respiratory burns: Both women had to be airlifted to Tampa General Hospital for treatment. The two others who were burned refused treatment. (Read more dessert stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.