Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait
'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Sep 26, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait 'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Tiananmen Square critic Chen Siming says he feels safe in Taiwan, though he wants to go to US
- A Chinese dissident known for his commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre is currently holed up in a Taiwan airport, pleading for asylum from the United States, or Canada if the US won't take him. Chen Siming has been hunkered down since Friday at Taoyuan International Airport near...
Thai King Cuts Thaksin's
Prison Term Short
Sep 1, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Thai King Cuts Thaksin's Prison Term Short
Former PM's sentence has been reduced from 8 years to 1 year by royal decree
- Thailand's king on Friday reduced the prison term of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from eight years to a single year following the divisive politician's return from 15 years of self-imposed exile. The decree from King Maha Vajiralongkorn granting Thaksin, 74, royal clemency said the action was taken...
Cops: Cyberscam Led
Man to Kill His Family
Aug 31, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Cops: Cyberscam Led Man to Kill His Family
Thai police say Sanit Dokmai, now charged with premeditated murder, also tried to take his own life
- At least 11 people are suspected to be involved with a loan scam that allegedly drove a man to kill his wife and two young boys before trying to take his own life in their family home, Thai police said Wednesday. Sanit Dokmai has been charged with premeditated murder after...
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate
Sites Housing Explosives
Jul 29, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate Sites Housing Explosives
9 are dead after explosion at Thai fireworks warehouse; 8 die in firecracker plant blast in India
- A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand on Saturday killed at least nine people and wounded scores, officials said. The governor of the province of Narathiwat, Sanan Pongaksorn, told public broadcaster Thai PBS that at least 115 people were hurt, and that many were in serious condition....
Thai Parliament Says
Election Winner Can't Be PM
Jul 20, 2023 3:38 AM CDT
Thai Parliament Says Election Winner Can't Be PM
Military-appointed senators blocked Pita Limjaroenrat's nomination
- The bitter battle to name Thailand's next prime minister took a major turn Wednesday as Parliament voted to deny Pita Limjaroenrat, whose progressive Move Forward Party won a surprise victory in May's election, a second chance to be confirmed for the post. Pita had assembled a coalition of...
Burger King, Why
Are You Doing This?
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
Burger King, Why Are You Doing This?
Thailand division is hawking a cheeseburger with no burger meat, up to 20 slices of American cheese
- If your favorite part of a cheeseburger is the cheese, Burger King has just the meal for you. You'll have to travel to Thailand to sample it, but "this is for real!" the fast-food giant says of its burgerless cheeseburger, which features the usual sesame-seed bun but...
He Texted After Missing Lunch
With His Wife. He Never Texted
Jul 12, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
He Texted After Missing Lunch With His Wife. He Never Texted
Body of German Hans-Peter Mack is found in Thailand
- The body of a missing German has been found in a chest freezer in Thailand, and three Germans have been arrested in connection with the grisly crime. The BBC reports Hans-Peter Mack, 62, had been due to meet his wife for lunch on July 4. When he failed to arrive,...
Woman Loses Leg
on Airport's Moving Walkway
Jun 29, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Woman Loses Leg on Airport's Moving Walkway
Horrific accident happened in Thailand
- A woman's leg had to be amputated in a Thai airport after it was trapped by a moving walkway Thursday, officials said. The 57-year-old Thai passenger was due to board a morning flight from Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport to the southern Nakhon Si Thammarat province when she was...
Woman Suspected of
Killing 13 With Cyanide
Apr 27, 2023 4:39 PM CDT
Woman Suspected of Killing 13 With Cyanide
Thai woman's alleged victims include friends, police officers, boyfriend
- The former wife of a senior police officer in Thailand is suspected of being a serial killer with more than a dozen victims. Authorities believe Sararat Rangsiwuthaporn started killing people she knew, including two female police officers, with cyanide in 2020, the BBC reports. Police say the 36-year-old had a...
Chinese Panda Loaned
to Thailand Dies Suddenly
Apr 20, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
Chinese Panda Loaned to Thailand Dies Suddenly
Panda Lin Hui fell ill on Tuesday
- A giant panda on long-term loan from China died in a zoo in northern Thailand on Wednesday, six months before she was due to return home, officials from the Chiang Mai Zoo said. The cause of Lin Hui’s death was not immediately clear but she appeared to have become...
Thailand Finds MIA
Radioactive Capsule, but Uh-Oh
Mar 21, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Thailand Finds MIA Radioactive Capsule, but Uh-Oh
Cylinder with cesium-137 turns up at Thailand steel foundry, but it appears to have been crushed
- It would be really great if people could keep tabs on the radioactive capsules they have hanging around. First, a tiny one filled with cesium-137 went missing earlier this year in Western Australia, though it's since been found . Now, a larger cylinder containing the same radioactive isotope has turned...
Ducks Get Thai Man
Jailed for 2 Years
Mar 8, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Calendars Featuring Ducks Get Thai Man Jailed for 2 Years
Court found that he was mocking the king
- A Thai man was sentenced to two years in prison Tuesday for selling calendars featuring satirical cartoons of yellow ducks that a court said mocked the country’s monarch, a legal aid group said. Bangkok’s Criminal Court ruled that the calendar for 2021 containing pictures of yellow ducks in...
Cops Arrest Suspect
in Thai 'Face/Off' Case
Feb 27, 2023 5:23 PM CST
Cops Arrest Suspect in Thai 'Face/Off' Case
Alleged drug dealer had plastic surgery to look like 'handsome Korean man'
- A suspected drug dealer in Thailand not only changed his name to a Korean name, he changed his face to a Korean face in an effort to evade authorities, police say. In what the Thai media has dubbed the
case, Saharat Sawangjaeng was arrested in Bangkok last week, the...
Thai Princess Collapsed
Weeks Ago, Still Unconscious
Jan 9, 2023 2:19 AM CST
Thai Princess Collapsed Weeks Ago, Still Unconscious
Bacterial infection led to heart problem, palace says
- Princess Bajrakitiyabha of Thailand has not regained consciousness, more than three weeks after the 44-year-old collapsed due to a heart problem while training her dog for a competition. The eldest child of Thai King Maha Vajiralongkorn and potential heir to the throne, the princess had a bacterial infection that led...
Thai Navy Ship Sinks
With 106 Onboard
Dec 19, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Thai Navy Ship Sinks With 106 Onboard
At least 28 remained in the water as of Monday morning
- A Thai navy ship sunk in the Gulf of Thailand and ships and helicopters were working Monday to rescue sailors from the water, the AP reports. As of midmorning, 75 sailors had been rescued and 31 were still in the water, the navy said; the BBC put the number of...
All Its Monks
After Drug Test
Nov 29, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Thai Temple Cleared of All Its Monks After Drug Test
Buddhist foursome in Phetchabun province came up positive for meth, a major issue in Thailand
- Thailand has been trying to crack down on drug trafficking, especially when it comes to the methamphetamine pouring in from neighboring Myanmar, and drug testing has been a part of the nation's campaign against it. The latest group to be busted, however, is a bit of a surprise—and...
Her an Arrest
Nov 11, 2022 10:03 AM CST
Woman's Video of 'Delicious' Meal Earns Her an Arrest
Thai woman gleefully pulled wings off bat, scarfed it down
- A Thai woman who wanted to go viral got her wish, and now she's apparently in big legal trouble after showing herself eating a bat on camera. Phonchanok Srisunaklua, who has identified herself as a teacher, posted a clip Monday on her Facebook and TikTok pages showing her supping...
Transgender Tycoon Buys
Miss Universe Organization
Oct 27, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Transgender Tycoon Buys Miss Universe Organization
Chakrapong Chakrajutathib is a prominent trans activist in Thailand
- A Thai business tycoon and transgender activist has purchased the Miss Universe Organization for $20 million, her company announced Wednesday. Chakrapong "Anne" Chakrajutathib, who controls JKN Global Group Public Co. Ltd., is a celebrity in Thailand who has starred in reality shows and is outspoken about being a transgender...
Thais Mourn 36 Killed
in Horrific Attack on
Day Care Center
Oct 7, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Thais Mourn 36 Killed in Horrific Attack on Day Care Center
'I cried until I had no more tears coming out of my eyes'
- Relatives wailed and collapsed in grief over the small coffins of children Friday after a fired police officer stormed a rural Thai day care center Thursday at naptime and massacred dozens of people. Thailand's deadliest mass killing left virtually no one untouched in the small community in one of...
Dozens Dead in Attack on
Day Care Center in Thailand
Oct 6, 2022 7:16 AM CDT
Dozens Dead in Attack on Day Care Center in Thailand
Authorities say ex-cop killed wife, child, himself after rampage
This story has been updated with new developments
. A former police officer in northeast Thailand killed more than 30 people in a shooting and stabbing rampage Thursday, including at least 23 children at a preschool day care center, authorities say. Officials say 34-year-old Panya Kamrab attacked the center in Nong...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.