Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
All Its Monks
After Drug Test
Nov 29, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Thai Temple Cleared of All Its Monks After Drug Test
Buddhist foursome in Phetchabun province came up positive for meth, a major issue in Thailand
- Thailand has been trying to crack down on drug trafficking, especially when it comes to the methamphetamine pouring in from neighboring Myanmar, and drug testing has been a part of the nation's campaign against it. The latest group to be busted, however, is a bit of a surprise—and...
Her an Arrest
Nov 11, 2022 10:03 AM CST
Woman's Video of 'Delicious' Meal Earns Her an Arrest
Thai woman gleefully pulled wings off bat, scarfed it down
- A Thai woman who wanted to go viral got her wish, and now she's apparently in big legal trouble after showing herself eating a bat on camera. Phonchanok Srisunaklua, who has identified herself as a teacher, posted a clip Monday on her Facebook and TikTok pages showing her supping...
Transgender Tycoon Buys
Miss Universe Organization
Oct 27, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Transgender Tycoon Buys Miss Universe Organization
Chakrapong Chakrajutathib is a prominent trans activist in Thailand
- A Thai business tycoon and transgender activist has purchased the Miss Universe Organization for $20 million, her company announced Wednesday. Chakrapong "Anne" Chakrajutathib, who controls JKN Global Group Public Co. Ltd., is a celebrity in Thailand who has starred in reality shows and is outspoken about being a transgender...
Thais Mourn 36 Killed
in Horrific Attack on
Day Care Center
Oct 7, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Thais Mourn 36 Killed in Horrific Attack on Day Care Center
'I cried until I had no more tears coming out of my eyes'
- Relatives wailed and collapsed in grief over the small coffins of children Friday after a fired police officer stormed a rural Thai day care center Thursday at naptime and massacred dozens of people. Thailand's deadliest mass killing left virtually no one untouched in the small community in one of...
Dozens Dead in Attack on
Day Care Center in Thailand
Oct 6, 2022 7:16 AM CDT
Dozens Dead in Attack on Day Care Center in Thailand
Authorities say ex-cop killed wife, child, himself after rampage
This story has been updated with new developments
. A former police officer in northeast Thailand killed more than 30 people in a shooting and stabbing rampage Thursday, including at least 23 children at a preschool day care center, authorities say. Officials say 34-year-old Panya Kamrab attacked the center in Nong...
Nightclub Fire Leaves 14 Dead
Aug 5, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
Nightclub Fire Leaves 14 Dead
More than 40 injured at Thailand's Mountain B venue, which reportedly lacked authorization
- At least 14 people are dead and dozens more injured following a fire at a Thai nightclub, which reportedly had only one way for patrons to get in and out. The blaze erupted at the Mountain B nightspot in Sattahip district, about 100 miles south of Bangkok, around 1am Friday...
Review of Archives Flooded
in 2011 Turns Up WWII Clue
May 18, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Review of Archives Flooded in 2011 Turns Up WWII Clue
1944 report found in archive may have led to missing American's remains
- The remains of an American airman who went missing in action in World War II may finally be on their way home, thanks to a chance discovery of records in flood-threatened archives in Thailand. US and local authorities held a solemn ceremony Wednesday at an air base in eastern Thailand...
Thailand Handing Out
1M Free Cannabis Plants
May 11, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Thailand Handing Out 1M Free Cannabis Plants
- Not so unusual: a country legalizing medicinal marijuana . Very unusual: the country giving its citizens cannabis plants so they can grow pot at home. That's what's happening now in Thailand, which in 2018 legalized marijuana for medical research and use. In January, Reuters reported the country decided to...
Jungle Search Is On for Tiger
That Lost a Hind Leg
Feb 9, 2022 5:44 PM CST
Jungle Search Is On for Tiger That Lost a Hind Leg
Wildlife group in Thailand wants to move animal to safety
- Forest rangers in western Thailand are searching a remote jungle on the Myanmar border hoping to rescue a wild tiger with a missing leg from an area where poachers have recently been operating. Staff from the wildlife protection organization Freeland spotted the animal earlier this week on video recorded by...
Beach DiCaprio Made Famous
Reopens Years Later
Nov 17, 2021 2:13 PM CST
Beach DiCaprio Made Famous Reopens Years Later
Thailand's Maya Bay features in the 1998 film 'The Beach'
Nearly three years after the public was barred from the idyllic beach that featured in the Leonardo DiCaprio movie
tourists will once again be welcomed back. The closure of Thailand's Maya Bay was supposed to last just four months but was extended to achieve a rehabilitation...
Woman Allegedly Cut Rope
Holding Painters 30 Stories Up
Oct 27, 2021 1:52 PM CDT
Woman Allegedly Cut Rope Holding Painters 30 Stories Up
Incident happened in Thailand
- A resident of a high-rise condominium in Thailand cut the support rope for two painters, apparently angry she wasn't told they would be doing work, and left them hanging above the 26th floor until a couple rescued them, police said Wednesday. (See a photo here .) The woman is...
Thailand Urged Not to Deport
Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Sep 28, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
Thailand Urged Not to Deport Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Nur Sajat is wanted in Malaysia for 'insulting Islam'
- Authorities in Malaysia say they don't want to "punish" transgender businesswoman Nur Sajat, only to "educate" her. Advocates say the 36-year-old is likely to face serious mistreatment if Thailand deports her back to her homeland. Sajat, a cosmetics entrepreneur who starred in a reality show in 2018,...
Thai Man Lost Job, Said He
Killed Tourist for Her Money
Aug 9, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Thai Man Lost Job, Said He Killed Tourist for Her Money
Thailand recently started allowing visitors to enter without quarantining
- Thailand wants tourists to come back, but a recent murder might make that a hard sell. A 27-year-old Thai man was charged Sunday in the death of a Swiss woman who was found dead near a waterfall in Phuket on Thursday. Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, 57, was found wearing only a shirt...
Player Sits Out
Toward Thai Team
Jun 10, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Volleyball Player Sits Out After Gesture Toward Thai Team
Serbian player and foundation apologize
- A player on Serbia's national women's volleyball team will sit out her next two matches after making a racist gesture last week when playing Thailand. Sanja Djurdjevic will sit out when her team takes on Belgium and Canada as it prepares for the Tokyo Olympics, the BBC reports....
Thai Police Arrest
89 Foreigners for
Flouting COVID Rules
Jan 28, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Thai Police Arrest 89 Foreigners for Flouting COVID Rules
People from more than 10 countries arrested in raid on island bar
- Police and immigration officials raided a party at a bar on a popular resort island in southern Thailand and arrested 89 foreigners for violating coronavirus regulations, officials said Wednesday. The Tuesday night raid on the Three Sixty Bar on Koh Phangan also netted 22 Thais, including one identified as the...
the King. Now,
a Record 43-Year
Jan 20, 2021 9:54 AM CST
She Insulted the King. Now, a Record 43-Year Sentence
Thai ex-civil servant was originally supposed to get 87 years behind bars for violating lese-majeste law
- A court in Thailand on Tuesday sentenced a former civil servant to a record prison term of 43 years and six months for breaching the country's strict law on insulting or defaming the monarchy, lawyers said. The Bangkok Criminal Court found the woman guilty on 29 counts of violating...
Off-Duty Rescue Worker
Saves Baby Elephant
Dec 22, 2020 6:17 PM CST
Off-Duty Rescue Worker Saves Baby Elephant
He revived it with 10 minutes of CPR
- Using CPR to try to revive a road accident victim is nothing new for Thai rescue worker Mana Srivate—but the victims aren't usually elephants. Mana, who has been a rescue worker for 26 years, was off duty Sunday night when he arrived at the accident scene while on...
This Time It's
Dec 11, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cher's Rescue Tour Continues. This Time It's a Gorilla
Star is begging for help to rehome Thailand's only gorilla from a department store zoo
- If you're thinking a department store zoo doesn't sound like a great place for a gorilla, Cher agrees. The singer, fresh off of her Pakistan trip to rescue the "world's loneliest elephant," is now making a plea to Thailand to free the country's last...
Here's What Iran Got for
Releasing an Australian
Nov 26, 2020 11:33 AM CST
Here's What Iran Got for Releasing an Australian
Thailand says it transferred home 3 men involved in botched 2012 bomb plot
- Thailand said Thursday it transferred three Iranians involved in a botched 2012 bomb plot back to Tehran, as Iran released an Australian academic who was imprisoned for more than two years on spying charges. While Thai officials declined to call it a swap and Iran referred to the men as...
Thailand: We Busted
$1B in Ketamine...
Oh, Wait a Second...
Nov 25, 2020 7:27 AM CST
Thailand: We Busted $1B in Ketamine... Oh, Wait a Second...
Turns out the cops busted a lot of trisodium phosphate
- Thailand's justice minister is walking back claims of the country's largest ever ketamine bust as it turns out the substance seized was actually an everyday product, appropriately labeled. About 475 bags of a white, granular substance were seized from a warehouse in Bang Pakong district, Chachoengsao province, on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.