Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 25, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Meta Decides to Welcome Trump Back
Facebook, Instagram suspensions to be dropped 'in coming weeks'
- Two years after former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Instagram over his posts supporting the insurgents who attacked the Capitol, Meta has decided to welcome him back. The announcement was made in a blog post by Nick Clegg, the company's president of global affairs, the BBC...
Jury Finds Four Oath Keepers
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Jan 23, 2023 4:19 PM CST
Jury Finds Four Oath Keepers Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Capitol attack trial was split off from that of Rhodes
- A federal jury on Monday convicted four members of the Oath Keepers militia of seditious conspiracy, deciding they'd plotted to use force to keep former President Donald Trump in office. Roberto Minuta, 38; Joseph Hackett, 52; David Moerschel, 45; and Edward Vallejo, 64, also were found guilty of obstructing...
3 Active-Duty Marines Working
in Intelligence Face Riot Counts
Jan 20, 2023 5:10 PM CST
3 Active-Duty Marines Working in Intelligence Face Riot Counts
One of the defendants posted photos from inside the Capitol on Instagram
- Three active-duty Marines who work in intelligence have been charged in the attack on the Capitol, after investigators saw a photo one of them took inside the building on Jan. 6, 2021, and posted on Instagram. Micah Coomer, Joshua Abate, and Dodge Dale Hellonen were arrested Wednesday, Military.com reports....
'Baked Alaska' Sentenced
for Role in Capitol Riot
Jan 10, 2023 4:06 PM CST
'Baked Alaska' Sentenced for Role in Capitol Riot
Judge says Anthime Gionet 'made a mockery of democracy'
- Anthime Gionet, the far-right internet personality better known as "Baked Alaska," was sentenced to 60 days in prison Tuesday by a federal judge who said his actions during the Capitol riot made a "mockery of democracy." Gionet, who livestreamed himself storming the Capitol, encouraged others not...
These 14 People, Biden
Says, Defended Democracy
Jan 7, 2023 2:05 PM CST
These 14 People, Biden Says, Defended Democracy
White House ceremony honors courage on second anniversary of Capitol attack
- Two years to the day after insurgents stormed the US Capitol, President Biden awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal to 14 Americans for their courage in protecting the building, Congress, and the integrity of the 2020 presidential election. The medal, one of the nation’s highest civilian honors, was presented to...
Jan 7, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Ashli Babbitt's Mom Arrested Outside US Capitol
Micki Witthoeft wouldn't heed Capitol Police orders during protest on riot's 2-year anniversary
- The mother of Ashli Babbitt , the California woman who was fatally shot by Capitol Police during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, was arrested herself outside the Capitol, on the two-year anniversary of the riot and her daughter's death. Per a Capitol Police release cited by...
Trump, 2 Rioters Sued Over
Capitol Police Officer's Death
Jan 6, 2023 12:01 PM CST
Trump, 2 Rioters Sued Over Capitol Police Officer's Death
Brian Sicknick will be among those honored in White House ceremony
- On the eve of the second anniversary of the Capitol attack, former President Donald Trump and two rioters were sued by the longtime partner of Brian Sicknick, who was doused with chemical spray during the attack and died the next day. Julie Garza's lawsuit, which is seeking at least...
Jan. 6 Panel's Time Is Up
Jan 2, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel's Time Is Up
Committee issues departing message
- The House Jan. 6 committee is shutting down, having completed a whirlwind 18-month investigation of the 2021 Capitol insurrection and sent its work to the Justice Department along with a recommendation for prosecuting former President Donald Trump. The committee’s time officially ends Tuesday when the new Republican-led House is...
6 Takeaways From
Jan. 6 Panel's Final Report
Dec 23, 2022 8:38 AM CST
6 Takeaways From Jan. 6 Panel's Final Report
Trump 'is loving this,' aide said during attack
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack released its final report Thursday, saying the main cause of the attack was "one man." They wrote that former President Donald Trump "put the lives of American lawmakers at risk" and threatened American democracy by trying to...
on Trump Counts
Dec 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Committee Moves Toward Voting Monday on Trump Counts
Charges up for recommendation to Justice Department include insurrection
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol plans to consider at least three criminal charges against former President Donald Trump when it meets Monday. The panel can't bring charges itself or compel anybody else to; the vote would be on whether to recommend the Justice...
White House Responds
to Greene's Latest
Dec 12, 2022 3:06 PM CST
White House Responds to Greene's Latest 'Violent Rhetoric'
She says she'd have 'won' Capitol attack if she'd organized it
- Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene once again offered herself as a pincushion for Democratic backlash over the weekend when she suggested that she and Steve Bannon would have "won" the Jan. 6 insurrection if they had actually been the ones to organize it. Per CBS News , White House spokesman...
At Jan. 6 Medal Ceremony,
Officers Ignore GOP Leaders
Dec 6, 2022 4:29 PM CST
At Jan. 6 Medal Ceremony, Officers Ignore GOP Leaders
Honorees have criticized response of McConnell, McCarthy to the attack
- Police officers who defended the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 attack accepted Congressional Gold Medals on Tuesday but not the congratulations of Republican leaders. All senior congressional leaders took part in the ceremony honoring US Capitol Police officers; Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police; and others, Politico reports. "May this...
Oath Keepers Founder
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Nov 29, 2022 4:37 PM CST
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
It's a big win for Jan. 6 prosecutors
- Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was convicted Tuesday of seditious conspiracy for a violent plot to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential win, handing the Justice Department a major victory in its massive prosecution of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. A Washington, DC, jury found Rhodes guilty of...
5 Hours With Staff
of Jan. 6 Committee
Nov 28, 2022 6:32 PM CST
Conway Spends 5 Hours With Staff of Jan. 6 Committee
Former Trump aide says she didn't invoke the Fifth Amendment
- Kellyanne Conway met with investigators for the House committee looking into the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol on Monday for almost five hours. Conway, who was an adviser to former President Donald Trump but had left his administration by the time of the insurrection by the president's supporters,...
Complaints About Cheney
Lead to Committee Bickering
Nov 24, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Complaints About Cheney Lead to Committee Bickering
Trump jumps in on the squabble over final report, as well
- Divisions among the staff and members of the House Jan. 6 committee that had been kept behind the scenes have become public. Former and current staff members are displeased that Rep. Liz Cheney has steered the panel's final report to concentrate on former President Donald Trump, which they say...
Woman Accused of
Stealing Pelosi's Laptop
Convicted on 6 Counts
Nov 22, 2022 1:55 AM CST
Woman Accused of Stealing Pelosi's Laptop Convicted on 6 Counts
Though not, however, the one involving the laptop
- A Pennsylvania woman linked to the far-right “Groyper” movement was convicted Monday of several federal charges after prosecutors said she was part of a group that stormed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. Riley June Williams...
Pence: 'We Will Have Better
Choices' Than Trump
Nov 17, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Pence: 'We Will Have Better Choices' Than Trump
Former VP says voters want 'new leadership' in 2024
- Former Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that voters are "looking for new leadership" following the disappointing midterm elections for Republicans, who are now openly debating whether his onetime boss, Donald Trump, should maintain a leading role in the party. In an interview with the AP , Pence implicitly positioned...
Nov 17, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Another Capitol Rioter Is Convicted
Larry Brock carried zip ties, faces time in prison for felony obstruction
- The Air Force veteran seen carrying zip-tie handcuffs on the Senate floor during the Capitol riot faces prison time after being found guilty of numerous charges. Texas' Larry Rendall Brock Jr., convicted Wednesday of the felony charge of obstructing an official proceeding as well as five misdemeanor charges including entering...
Supreme Court Rules Against
GOP Figure in Records Fight
Nov 14, 2022 12:13 PM CST
Supreme Court Rules Against GOP Figure in Records Fight
Ruling allows House committee to access phone records of Arizona's Kelli Ward
- The Supreme Court has cleared the way for the House committee investigating the Capitol riot to get phone records belonging to the leader of the Arizona Republican Party. The high court on Monday rejected GOP state chair Kelli Ward's request to halt the turnover of records while a lawsuit...
Jan. 6 Tweet
Nov 14, 2022 8:27 AM CST
Pence: Trump's Jan. 6 Tweet About Me 'Angered' Me
Former VP tells ABC that former president's actions during Capitol riot were 'reckless'
- Mike Pence hasn't said much about what happened on Jan. 6, 2021, specifically on how he felt about former President Trump's remarks before and during the riot at the US Capitol. That changed over the weekend with the release of part of an interview the ex-vice president gave...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.