Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Remarks From 'Baked Alaska'
Torch Jan. 6 Plea Deal
May 12, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
Remarks From 'Baked Alaska' Torch Jan. 6 Plea Deal
He told judge he believes he is innocent
- One of the best-known Capitol riot suspects attempted to plead guilty Wednesday, but a trial date was set after he told the judge he was innocent. Far-right livestreamer "Baked Alaska," whose real name is Anthime Joseph Gionet, had been set to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge that...
Giuliani Pulls Out of
Interview With House
January 6 Committee
May 6, 2022 12:25 AM CDT
Giuliani Pulls Out of Interview With House January 6 Committee
It had been scheduled for Friday
- A spokesman for the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the US Capitol says Rudy Giuliani, who led Donald Trump's court efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, has withdrawn from an interview that was scheduled to take place Friday, the AP reports....
Jury Finds NYPD Veteran
Guilty of Jan. 6 Assault
May 2, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Jury Finds NYPD Veteran Guilty of Jan. 6 Assault
Thomas Webster attacked DC officer with flagpole
- A federal jury on Monday convicted a New York Police Department veteran of assaulting an officer during the Capitol riot, rejecting his claim that he was defending himself when he tackled the officer and grabbed his gas mask. Thomas Webster, a 20-year NYPD veteran who retired in 2011, was the...
Oath Keeper Pleads Guilty
to Seditious Conspiracy
Apr 29, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Oath Keeper Pleads Guilty to Seditious Conspiracy
Brian Ulrich of Georgia agreed to cooperate with Jan. 6 prosecutors
- A Georgia man affiliated with the Oath Keepers militia group became the second Capitol rioter to plead guilty to seditious conspiracy for his actions leading up to and through Jan. 6, 2021. The sentencing guidelines for Brian Ulrich, who pleaded guilty on Friday, call for 5¼ years to 6½ years...
Shift on Riot
Apr 26, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Greene's Texts to Meadows Show Quick Shift on Riot
As it began, she asked for Trump to calm rioters; soon, she put blame on antifa infiltrators
- Texts to and from Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows on the day of the Capitol riot and, more generally, in the aftermath of the 2020 election have been the subject of many stories of late. But CNN is now unveiling a mother lode—a total of 2,319 texts...
Panel Tells Judge It Has
New Evidence on Meadows
Apr 23, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Panel Tells Judge It Has New Evidence on Meadows
Jan. 6 committee asks court to force testimony of Trump's chief of staff
- The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol last year has asked a federal judge to compel the testimony of Mark Meadows, White House chief of staff at the time. The Jan. 6 panel already subpoenaed Meadows, and he turned over certain documents. But he's refused to do...
In Jan. 6 Texts,
Said Trump Doctor
Apr 20, 2022 3:23 PM CDT
In Jan. 6 Texts, Militia Members Said Trump Doctor 'Needs Protection'
Oath Keepers discussed protecting several Trump allies during riot
- Members of the far-right militia group the Oath Keepers discussed providing protection to some of then-President Trump's top allies surrounding the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, including Republican Rep. Ronny Jackson, Roger Stone, and Michael Flynn, newly-released text messages show. Several group members—including Joshua James, who has pleaded guilty...
Jury Convicts Rioter
Who Blamed Trump
Apr 14, 2022 4:08 PM CDT
Jury Convicts Rioter Who Blamed Trump
Defense argued Dustin Thompson was unemployed and vulnerable to conspiracy theories
- An Ohio man who testified he was "following presidential orders" from Donald Trump when he stormed the US Capitol was convicted Thursday of obstructing Congress from certifying Joe Biden's 2020 electoral victory. A federal jury also found Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, guilty of stealing a coat rack from...
Ex-Cop Convicted in
Jan. 6 Capitol Attack
Apr 11, 2022 10:20 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Convicted in Jan. 6 Capitol Attack
Thomas Robertson found guilty of all 6 counts he faced
- A federal jury on Monday convicted a former Virginia police officer of storming the US Capitol with another off-duty officer to obstruct Congress from certifying President Biden’s 2020 electoral victory, the AP reports. Jurors convicted former Rocky Mount police officer Thomas Robertson of all six counts he faced stemming...
Proud Boys Leader Reaches
Plea Deal in Capitol Riot
Apr 8, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Proud Boys Leader Reaches Plea Deal in Capitol Riot
Charles Donohoe, who ran the North Carolina chapter, will cooperate with the government after pleading guilty
- A Proud Boys defendant pleaded guilty Friday to two felonies in the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, becoming the first of the group's leadership to admit guilt and agree to cooperate with the investigation of the organization. Charles Donohoe, who led the North Carolina chapter of the...
Trump: I Regret Not
Marching to the Capitol
Apr 7, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Trump: I Regret Not Marching to the Capitol
Former president blames Nancy Pelosi for not containing the day's violence
- Donald Trump tells the
he wanted to march to the Capitol with his supporters on Jan. 6, 2021, but Secret Service wouldn't allow it. "I would have gone there in a minute," he says in the interview. Trump criticized the violence that ensued and, as...
Apr 7, 2022 12:06 AM CDT
Congress Holds Scavino, Navarro in Contempt
Justice Department will decide whether to prosecute
- Former Trump advisers Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino were held in contempt of Congress for their monthlong refusal to comply with subpoenas rendered by the House committee’s investigation into the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. The two men on Wednesday became the latest members...
Ivanka Trump Testifies
Before Jan. 6 Panel
Apr 5, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Ivanka Trump Testifies Before Jan. 6 Panel
'She's answering questions,' says House committee's chairman
: Ivanka Trump, who spent much of Jan. 6, 2021 with father Donald Trump, testified Tuesday before the House panel investigating the Capitol riot. Sources tell Reuters that the former senior White House adviser testified for around eight hours. Her husband, Jared Kushner, spoke to the panel last week. "...
House Jan. 6 Committee: Hold
Scavino, Navarro in Contempt
Mar 28, 2022 9:04 PM CDT
House Jan. 6 Committee: Hold Scavino, Navarro in Contempt
The vote is unanimous, now goes to full House
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol voted unanimously Monday night to hold former Trump advisers Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino in contempt of Congress for their monthslong refusal to comply with subpoenas, the AP reports. The committee made their case that Navarro, former President...
Mar 24, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Alleged Capitol Rioter Granted Asylum in Belarus
Evan Neumann is wanted by the FBI for assaulting police officers on Jan. 6
Evan Neumann has found an indefinite safe haven in Belarus. According to that nation's BelTA state media, the 49-year-old from Mill Valley, Calif., wanted by the FBI on charges of assaulting police officers at the US Capitol on Jan. 6, has been granted asylum by the Russian ally,...
'Cowboys for Trump'
Founder Goes on Trial
Mar 22, 2022 5:44 AM CDT
'Cowboys for Trump' Founder Goes on Trial
Couy Griffin is 2nd to go on trial in Capitol riot
- An elected official from New Mexico went to trial with a judge—not a jury—set to decide if he is guilty of charges that he illegally entered the US Capitol grounds on the day a pro-Trump mob disrupted the certification of Joe Biden's presidential election victory. US District...
Flynn Pleads the Fifth
Before Jan. 6 Panel
Mar 11, 2022 4:31 AM CST
Flynn Pleads the Fifth Before Jan. 6 Panel
He discussed martial law as Trump fought to overturn election results
- Another high-profile Donald Trump ally has pleaded the Fifth Amendment in an appearance before the House select committee investigating the attack on the Capitol. A lawyer for former national security adviser Michael Flynn said Thursday that the retired general complied with a subpoena to appear before the committee Thursday "...
After Capitol Cop's Suicide,
Widow Wins a Legal Fight
Mar 10, 2022 1:27 PM CST
After Capitol Cop's Suicide, Widow Wins a Legal Fight
Jeffrey Smith's death is ruled to be a 'line-of-duty' death
- A police officer who died by suicide days after protecting the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, has been found to have died in the line of duty. Metropolitan Police Officer Jeffrey Smith died on his way to work on Jan. 15. "Based on evidence submitted by the petitioner...
Proud Boys Leader Hit With
Jan. 6 Conspiracy Charge
Mar 8, 2022 2:54 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader Hit With Jan. 6 Conspiracy Charge
Indictment says Enrique Tarrio flouted order to stay out of Washington
- A leader of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group was arrested Tuesday on a conspiracy charge for his suspected role in a coordinated attack on the US Capitol to stop Congress from certifying President Biden’s 2020 electoral victory. Henry "Enrique" Tarrio wasn’t there when the riot erupted...
Gets House Subpoena
Mar 3, 2022 5:07 PM CST
Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets House Subpoena
Committee was interviewing her last week when she cut the session off
- The House committee investigating the US Capitol insurrection subpoenaed Kimberly Guilfoyle, the fiancée of former President Donald Trump's eldest son, on Thursday after she abruptly ended a voluntary interview with lawmakers last week. The panel is seeking testimony and additional records from Guilfoyle, who they say was in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.