Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Going to Be a Wet
and Wintry Holiday Week
Nov 21, 2023 7:49 AM CST
It's Going to Be a Wet and Wintry Holiday Week
Storm system ahead of Thanksgiving to bring rain, snow across US amid expected record travel
- The Thanksgiving holiday week looks to be back in full force, with a record number of travelers expected both on the road and in the air—despite a weather forecast set to bring travel snarls across a good part of the United States. The AP reports that the Transportation Security...
10 Years, 203 Nations,
Aug 7, 2023 12:13 PM CDT
10 Years, 203 Nations, Zero Airplanes
Copenhagen's Torbjorn Pedersen spent a decade achieving his one-of-a-kind travel milestone
- To equal Torbjorn Pedersen's feat of traveling, you could start today and expect to wrap up sometime around 2033. The 44-year-old from Copenhagen managed to travel to all of the world's countries without once using an airplane, reports Euronews . Pedersen is now in the midst of a grueling...
The List of Every Place
on Earth Just Got Bigger
Mar 18, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
The List of Every Place on Earth Just Got Bigger
The 'Most Traveled People' group ups the count to 1.5K
- Quick: Name how many countries and territories one could visit on Earth. If your guess was in the hundreds, you're already way off, at least according to the "Most Traveled People" (MTP) community. MTP was founded by Charles Veley after he tried and failed to have Guinness World...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
Parents Are Showing 3 Kids
the World While They Can See It
Sep 12, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Parents Are Showing 3 Kids the World While They Can See It
Genetic disorder will cause vision loss to accelerate in teenage years
- Montreal, Quebec, parents Edith Lemay and Sebastien Pelletier are taking a year to give their four children a trip of a lifetime—and for three of them, it will involve sights that they may never be able to see again. Mia, 12; Colin, 7; and Laurent, 5, were diagnosed years...
Three Friends Hit All 50
States in Five Days
Aug 16, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Three Friends Hit All 50 States in Five Days
Austin trio claims the fastest time to date
- Three friends in Austin can boast that they've visited all 50 states—and they have their names in the record book to prove it. The trio of Peter McConville, Pavel (Pasha) Krechetov, and Abdullahi Salah started in Vermont on May 13 and ended in Hawaii exactly five days, 13...
A Busy Travel Weekend
Kicks Into Gear
Jul 1, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
A Busy Travel Weekend Kicks Into Gear
TSA says business is booming again at US airports for the July 4 holiday
- The July Fourth holiday weekend is off to a booming start, with airport crowds crushing the numbers seen in 2019, before the pandemic. Travelers seemed to be experiencing fewer delays and canceled flights than they did earlier this week. The Transportation Security Administration screened more than 2.4 million travelers...
This Is the Safest
Airline in the World
Jan 8, 2022 9:30 AM CST
This Is the Safest Airline in the World
Air New Zealand takes top spot in AirlineRatings.com's annual ranking
- People are flying again, though the current COVID surge has put a damper on many a winter vacation. If you're going to fly, though, you'll want to make sure your airline of choice is following best practices for safety—which is why AirlineRatings.com's latest ranking comes...
It's a Milestone Day
for Travelers to the US
Nov 8, 2021 6:50 AM CST
It's a Milestone Day for Travelers to the US
Pandemic restrictions lifted for those who are vaccinated from abroad
- The US lifted restrictions Monday on travel from a long list of countries including Mexico, Canada, and most of Europe, setting the stage for reunions nearly two years in the making and providing a boost for the airline and tourism industries decimated by the pandemic. The rules that go into...
5 Fascinating Places
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
5 Fascinating Places You're Prohibited From Visiting
Business Insider rounds up unique, forbidden places around the world
- You may be looking for a remote spot, far from people, for your next travel destination. But Business Insider wants to remind you that some far-off places are better left alone—particularly if you want to avoid charges or, worse, death. Five unique, forbidden places:
Reaction to TSA
in case you missed it
Jul 31, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
Travelers Have 'Not Surprising' Reaction to TSA Mask Fines
Out of 2.4K incidents of alleged noncompliance, only 2 have agreed to pay the $250 penalty
- Earlier this year, the TSA warned that people who refuse to wear face masks while using public transit, in accordance with a federal mandate, could face hefty fines. It doesn't seem like that heads-up served as much of a deterrent, at least not for a couple of thousand travelers...
England Makes Things Easier
for Vaccinated Tourists
Jul 28, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
England Makes Things Easier for Vaccinated Tourists
It does away with 10-day quarantine for vaccinated travelers
- Fully vaccinated travelers from the United States and much of Europe can enter England without quarantining starting next week. The British government says people who have received both doses of a vaccine approved by the FDA in the US or the European Medicines Agency can take pre- and post-arrival coronavirus...
Europe to Welcome
Back US Tourists
Jun 16, 2021 1:03 PM CDT
Europe to Welcome Back US Tourists
Ban on nonessential travel to lift Friday, with conditions set by individual countries
- Good news for those planning a summer vacation in Europe: The European Union will add the United States to its safe travel list on Friday, lifting a ban on nonessential travelers that has been in place through much of the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports. Nonessential travel from the UK...
Memorial Day Travelers
Can Expect Airport Lines
May 28, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
Memorial Day Travelers Can Expect Airport Lines
Numbers are back up around pre-pandemic levels
- Americans hit the road in near-record numbers at the start of the Memorial Day weekend, as their eagerness to break free from coronavirus confinement overcame higher prices for flights, gasoline and hotels, per the AP . More than 1.8 million people went through US airports on Thursday, and the number...
That EU Trip
You Want to Take?
Prepare to Book
May 19, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
That EU Trip You Want to Take? Prepare to Book
Looks like vaccinated Americans will soon be granted entry
- Your European summer vacation plans may be a go. The European Union on Wednesday took a step toward relaxing tourism travel for visitors from outside the bloc, with EU ambassadors agreeing on measures to allow fully vaccinated visitors in. They also agreed on easing the criteria for nations to be...
If You're Fully
Apr 2, 2021 11:11 AM CDT
If You're Fully Vaccinated, a New Thumbs-Up
Agency gives OK for those with all their COVID shots to travel domestically, overseas
- Anyone who's been holding off on trying to get a COVID vaccine may now have a new incentive. Politico reports that the CDC on Friday updated its guidance on travel during the pandemic, saying Americans can feel free to travel around the US and internationally, as long as they'...
California Lawmakers Defend
Being in Maui Right Now
Nov 19, 2020 6:37 AM CST
California Lawmakers Defend Being in Maui Right Now
They say event at luxury hotel is to discuss how to 'safely reopen our society'
- California lawmakers are defending their presence at a Hawaiian conference on "intelligent public policy" regarding COVID-19, but it appears they defied their home state's warnings to go. Four Republicans who attended the bipartisan event—state Sen. Andreas Borgeas and Assembly members Jordan Cunningham, Heath Flora, and Frank Bigelow—...
Europe Welcomes Back
Tourists, but Not Americans
Jun 30, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Europe Welcomes Back Tourists, but Not Americans
People from US banned for at least another 2 weeks because of coronavirus
- The European Union wants the world's tourists to know it will be back open for business on Wednesday, but only if they hail from 15 countries. And the US is not one of them. The EU on Tuesday listed the nations whose residents are welcome when the borders reopen:...
Looking to Get
a New Passport?
It for Now
Apr 4, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Looking to Get a New Passport? Forget About It for Now
Unless you have 'life-or-death emergency' or are renewing, State Dept. says passports are on hold
- The State Department wasn't kidding when it put out its "level four" travel advisory last month urging Americans not to go abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic. CNN reports that on Friday, the department put up a "passport operations" update on its website , and the upshot of that...
a Note That's
Not Very Nice
Aug 17, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
TSA Guard Hands Traveler a Note That's Not Very Nice
Neal Strassner says he still doesn't understand why she did it
- TSA workers don't usually hand people notes, and this could be why. Neal Strassner was going through security at a New York airport in June when a screener handed him a note reading, "You ugly!!!" CCTV footage he later obtained via a Freedom of Information Act request...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.