Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent happy news and other uplifting news stories from around the world on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Butterfly 'Apocalypse'
May Not Be Upon Us After All
Nov 22, 2021 11:41 AM CST
The Butterfly 'Apocalypse' May Not Be Upon Us After All
After monarchs' migration numbers plummeted drastically last year, we may be seeing a 'comeback'
- California's Pacific Grove Monarch Sanctuary didn't have a single sighting of its namesake black-and-orange butterfly last year, so no one knew what to expect for this year's migration. The pleasant surprise, per SFGate : "The butterflies are back in town." More than 13,700 of them,...
Florida 9-Year-Old Commended
for Fighting Off Mom's Attacker
Nov 21, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Florida 9-Year-Old Commended for Fighting Off Mom's Attacker
Young hero wants to be a teacher when she grows up
- A man approached Journee Nelson’s mom and tried to take her purse. Journee was having none of that. Surveillance video from a nearby business shows a man push Danielle Mobley, Journee’s mom, to the ground. Journee can be seen springing into action, punching the attacker in the head,...
COVID Patient Wakes on Day
Family Was to Pull the Plug
Nov 18, 2021 5:35 PM CST
COVID Patient Wakes on Day Family Was to Pull the Plug
Bettina Lerman, 69, has a long road of recovery ahead
- Doctors were certain Bettina Lerman would not wake after more than a month on a ventilator battling COVID-19 at a hospital in Portland, Maine. So her family flew to Lerman's home in Florida, canceled her lease, got rid of many of her possessions, and began planning a funeral, reports...
a Newborn Girl
Nov 18, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Cats Gathered Around Sewage Drain. Inside: a Newborn Girl
Girl named 'Pari' has been moved from Mumbai hospital to shelter
- A newborn baby girl has found a home in a shelter in India after being pulled "from a drain where she was left to die," the BBC reports. Mumbai police said "neighborhood cats created a ruckus" before someone spotted the 5-day-old infant in the drain in a...
Family Stuck in Outback
Rescued After 5 Days
Nov 16, 2021 10:44 AM CST
Family Stuck in Outback Rescued After 5 Days
Kids ages 2 and 3 were helicoptered to safety along with parents
- A family of four, including two children under the age of 4, have been rescued from Australia's remote desert just as temperatures were expected to top 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Perth couple Ori and Lindsey Zavros and their children, aged 2 and 3, set out a year ago to travel...
He Lost His
the Next Day
Nov 16, 2021 3:02 AM CST
He Lost His Best Friend, Scored 8 Touchdowns the Next Day
High school quarterback's feat goes viral
- On Thursday, Alex Brown posted an emotional tribute to his mom, who died that day after a 14-year battle with cancer, on Twitter . On Friday night, the high school quarterback scored eight touchdowns for his New Jersey football team,
reports. The story went viral by Saturday—Brown's...
She Ran a Marathon Every
Day Until She Caught COVID
Nov 15, 2021 6:40 PM CST
She Ran a Marathon Every Day Until She Caught COVID
Alyssa Clark ran 26.2 miles every day for 95 days
- Like a lot of people, Alyssa Clark needed a quarantine project. And, as she wound up the project, she "just felt like running." Her husband is in the military and stationed in Naples, Italy, so she started running on a treadmill indoors while there. She had been training...
Cute Critter in Colorado Garage
Turns Out to be Endangered
Nov 15, 2021 4:03 PM CST
Cute Critter in Colorado Garage Turns Out to be Endangered
Extremely rare black-footed ferret was returned to habitat
- One of the rarest animals in North America turned up in a Colorado garage. Black-footed ferrets were once thought to be extinct until a colony was found in Wyoming in 1981, and scientists have been working on helping them thrive. They successfully cloned one earlier this year. They've also...
At 89, He Achieved His Dream
of Becoming a Physicist
Nov 15, 2021 1:45 PM CST
At 89, He Achieved His Dream of Becoming a Physicist
Rhode Island's Manfred Steiner got Ph.D in physics after retiring from medicine
- A 89-year-old Rhode Island man has achieved a goal he spent two decades working toward and nearly a lifetime thinking about—earning his Ph.D. and becoming a physicist. Manfred Steiner recently defended his dissertation successfully at Brown University in Providence. Steiner cherishes this degree because it's what he...
She Lost a Very Special Bear
in Park. Now, a Reunion
Nov 12, 2021 12:59 PM CST
She Lost a Very Special Bear in Park. Now, a Reunion
The teddy, which vanished in Glacier National Park, had been Naomi Pascal's since Ethiopian adoption
- A little girl who lost a special teddy bear she'd had since being adopted from an Ethiopian orphanage thought it was gone forever when she forgot it along a trail in Glacier National Park last year. Her parents and family friends still held onto a glimmer of hope—and...
His First Task After Coming
Off Ventilator: Saying 'I Do'
Nov 11, 2021 1:13 PM CST
His First Task After Coming Off Ventilator: Saying 'I Do'
Man recovering from COVID weds fiancee from his hospital bed in Iowa
- Jonathan Johnson spent weeks on a ventilator battling COVID-19, then decided to get married—in the hospital. The 28-year-old man surprised his fiancée with the help of hospital staff and arranged a wedding last month in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Council Bluffs, Iowa, tying the...
Nov 9, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Malala's New Announcement: She's Married
Malala Yousafzai, once targeted by the Taliban for going to school, finished college last year
- Nobel laureate and peace activist Malala Yousafzai announced that she is married, sharing the news on Twitter Tuesday. "Today marks a precious day in my life. Asser and I tied the knot to be partners for life. We celebrated a small nikkah ceremony at home in Birmingham with our...
Cops Grab Canoe
to Save Elderly Man
Nov 9, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Cops Grab Canoe to Save Elderly Man
He was submerged in cold waters off the Connecticut coast
- Police officers in coastal Connecticut grabbed a nearby canoe belonging to a private citizen instead of waiting for a police boat when they located a missing elderly man early Tuesday. The Westport officers paddled to the rescue after spotting the man partially submerged off Saugatuck Shores Beach, reports the
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to
Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
Nov 7, 2021 6:00 PM CST
'Nimblewill Nomad' Oldest to Hike Appalachian Trail at 83
He did the trail in sections for better weather
- An 83-year-old from Alabama started walking when he retired more than a quarter-century ago — and never stopped. M.J. “Sunny” Eberhart strode into the record books Sunday as the oldest hiker to complete the Appalachian Trail. Eberhart, known by the trail name Nimblewill Nomad, acknowledged that despite having...
Girl, 9, Uses
Face to Save
in case you missed it
Nov 7, 2021 12:05 PM CST
Girl, 9, Uses Unconscious Dad's Face to Save Her Family
Calls 911 amid carbon monoxide emergency
- When a Massachusetts 9-year-old heard her dad scream on Oct. 28, she found him with her unconscious mom—and then the father, too, passed out. Jayline Barbosa Brandão took quick action that is being credited with saving the lives of everyone in the house: She grabbed her dad's...
Doing Well, With
New Charges in Case
Nov 4, 2021 6:43 AM CDT
Rescued 4-Year-Old Doing Well, With New Charges in Case
Terence Kelly, 36, hit with charges in case of Cleo Smith, who went missing for 18 days in Australia
A 36-year-old man has been charged in the case of a 4-year-old Australian girl found safe Wednesday after vanishing 18 days earlier. Terence Darrell Kelly appeared Thursday in a Carnavon court, where he was charged with forcibly or fraudulently taking or enticing a child under 16, per the BBC...
Surprise: Winner of Bird
Contest Isn't Actually a Bird
Nov 2, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Surprise: Winner of Bird Contest Isn't Actually a Bird
A bat sneaks in and takes top honors in New Zealand
- Did somebody miss a meeting? Maybe a day or two of biology class? Somehow the winner of New Zealand’s Bird of the Year contest isn’t even a bird, reports the
New York Times
. The winning critter has wings, for sure, but bats don’t lay eggs and they...
15 Months After
His Daughter Is Born
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
15 Months After Olympian's Death, His Daughter Is Born
Alex Pullin's widow gave birth to Minnie Alex in Australia through IVF procedure
- Fifteen months after the sudden death of Olympic gold medalist Alex "Chumpy" Pullin, his newborn daughter has arrived. The Australian snowboarder's widow, Ellidy Pullin, on Thursday announced the birth of Minnie Alex, conceived through in vitro fertilization. "Your Dad and I have been dreaming of you for...
They Were Getting
Married on the
Oct 28, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
They Were Getting Married on the Beach. Then: 'That's Woody!'
Tom Hanks crashes couple's nuptials in Santa Monica, takes photos
- Tashia Farries is a private chef to the stars, so she's accustomed to hobnobbing with Hollywood royalty. What she didn't expect was for none other than Tom Hanks to casually drop by her wedding over the weekend to fiancee Diciembre on a Southern California beach. FOX 11 reports...
Spanx CEO Has a Huge
Surprise for Employees
Oct 26, 2021 2:36 AM CDT
Spanx CEO Has a Huge Surprise for Employees
Each one got $10K, two first-class plane tickets to anywhere
- Spanx is now worth $1.2 billion, and to celebrate the occasion last week, CEO Sara Blakely gave each employee $10,000 and two first-class airplane tickets to anywhere in the world. That's twice the amount of savings, $5,000, she started the shapewear company with in 2000, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.