Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feinstein Is Returning
May 9, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Feinstein Is Returning to Washington
89-year-old's monthslong absence led to calls for resignation
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is returning to Washington after a long absence that led to increasingly strong calls for her resignation in recent weeks. At 89, the California Democrat is the oldest senator. She was hospitalized with shingles in February and has been absent for more than two months. Her office...
Editorial Board Has
'Painful' Words for Feinstein
May 5, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Editorial Board Has 'Painful' Words for Feinstein
Board suggests she resign, urges Schumer to act if she doesn't
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein says she will return to the Senate. The editorial board of the
New York Times
suggests she reconsider. And if the 89-year-old doesn't reconsider, the editorial board urges Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to increase pressure on her to step down. The editors laud Feinstein's legacy...
Flipped Ron Klain
Mar 23, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Report: Sinema Slammed Schumer, Flipped Ron Klain the Bird
Sources also tell Politico that independent Arizona senator called Dems 'old dudes eating Jell-O'
- Some have begun to speculate that yes, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema might be able to pull off a reelection win in Arizona if she runs, using her new "independent" status to siphon off independent voters and moderate Republican voters from her opponents. It looks like those are the voters she...
Senate Joins House in Voting
to Impose Railroad Contract
Dec 1, 2022 3:59 PM CST
Senate Joins House in Voting to Impose Railroad Contract
Legislation prohibiting shutdown goes to Biden for his signature
- The Senate moved quickly Thursday to avert a rail strike that the Biden administration and business leaders warned would have devastating consequences for the nation's economy. The Senate passed a bill to bind rail companies and workers to a proposed settlement that was reached between the rail companies and...
Pelosi in New
Jan. 6 Footage:
Punch Him Out'
Oct 14, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Pelosi in New Jan. 6 Footage: 'I'm Gonna Punch Him Out'
Never-before-seen video shot during riot shows House Speaker Pelosi's shock, anger at Trump
- The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the US Capitol held its final public hearing before the midterms on Thursday, in which it resumed making its case against Donald Trump and even voted unanimously at the end of the hearing to subpoena the former president to testify....
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
Need Be for
Dec 23, 2021 5:55 PM CST
Biden: Alter Filibuster If Need Be for Voting Rights
President says he'd support working around the rule for this issue
- The Senate's filibuster rule is one of the main obstacles to passage of a voting rights law. President Biden, a longtime member of the Senate, says he no longer supports letting that barrier—which requires 60 votes to approve most measures—remain. "If the only thing standing between...
GOP Turns Back
Voting Rights Bill
Oct 20, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
GOP Turns Back Voting Rights Bill
Democrats to lobby each other on changing filibuster rule after another loss
- Republican senators put a stop Wednesday to Democratic legislation to overhaul elections. The Freedom to Vote Act needed 60 votes; the count was 49-51, the Hill reports. "For every two steps forward, sometimes there are those who try to pull us one step back," Sen. Chuck Schumer said....
Oct 7, 2021 7:47 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Deal Clears Senate
We're good until December
The Senate dodged a US debt disaster Thursday night, voting to extend the government’s borrowing authority into December and temporarily avert an unprecedented federal default that experts warned would devastate the economy and harm millions of Americans. The vote of 50-48 in support of the bill to raise...
Sep 27, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Senate GOP Thwarts Bill to Avoid Shutdown
Republicans block Democrats in first round of a critical week
- Republicans in the Senate thwarted a Democratic attempt to suspend the debt limit and head off a government shutdown on Monday night. The vote on a procedural measure to keep the legislative alive was along party lines, CNN reports, 48-50. Approval required 60 votes. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer switched his...
Tell Cuomo to Quit
Mar 12, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Schumer, Gillibrand Tell Cuomo to Quit
As accusations add up, governor has little political support in New York or Washington
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and US Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand called Friday on New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign, the AP reports, adding the most powerful Democratic voices yet to the movement to replace the governor in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment and groping. "Confronting and...
Senate Standoff Ends With
'Democrats Holding the Gavels'
Feb 3, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Senate Standoff Ends With 'Democrats Holding the Gavels'
Schumer, McConnell reach deal on 50-50 Senate
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced an agreement Wednesday with Republicans to organize the evenly split chamber, ending a weekslong standoff, reports the AP . Schumer said that he and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell had agreed on committee ratios and other details in the 50-50 chamber, where Democrats have the...
Republicans Take Their
Relief Plan to Biden
Feb 1, 2021 7:40 PM CST
Republicans Take Their Relief Plan to Biden
Collins says they'll keep talking, but Democrats are setting up passage of president's proposal
- Republican senators who presented their own, much smaller, coronavirus relief package to President Biden on Monday night said the two sides will keep working together—but there's no deal yet. The president met with 10 GOP senators in the Oval Office for almost two hours, the
an 'Early Test'
Jan 26, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Biden Faces an 'Early Test' in Congress
Should he work on compromise for COVID relief or push it through with a parliamentary maneuver?
- The Senate has been in a kind of legislative limbo since the election, but that ended Monday night when Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer ended a stalemate on how to move forward. Now comes the task of actually passing legislation, including a COVID relief measure with its accompanying relief checks...
Pelosi to Send Impeachment
Article to Senate Monday
Jan 22, 2021 10:37 AM CST
Pelosi to Send Impeachment Article to Senate Monday
Trial could start Tuesday, though a delay is possible
- It looks like Mitch McConnell will not get his wish. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi plans to send impeachment articles charging former President Donald Trump with "incitement of insurrection" to the Senate on Monday, reports the
. "Make no mistake, a trial will be held in the United States...
a Deal on Filibusters
Jan 21, 2021 4:13 PM CST
McConnell Wants a Deal on Filibusters
Issue keeps negotiations over Senate control stalled
- Republicans and Democrats are negotiating how to split control of the Senate for the next two years, and there's one custom that Mitch McConnell wants to protect: the filibuster. His rivals aren't buying it, the Hill reports. "We're not going to give him what he wishes,...
You Might Get $2K
Relief Check After All
Jan 7, 2021 11:51 AM CST
You Might Get $2K Relief Check After All
Schumer says it's No. 1 priority in Democrat-controlled Senate
- It got a little lost in the shuffle of Wednesday's chaos in DC, but the pair of Democratic Senate wins in Georgia means that Americans might get $2,000 in COVID relief checks after all. In this case, that would likely mean an additional payment of $1,400 on...
Obama Has a Message for
Republican Senators on RBG
Sep 19, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Obama Has a Message for Republican Senators on RBG
Dems remind GOP of their remarks in 2016 on filling an empty SCOTUS seat during election year
- Mitch McConnell vowed late Friday that a vote will be held on President Trump's nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, who died Friday at 87. But prominent Democrats, including Barack Obama, are pushing back, digging up the remarks of McConnell and other GOP senators from...
Lawmakers Are Locked
in COVID-19 Aid Talks
Aug 1, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Lawmakers Are Locked in COVID-19 Aid Talks
'It was more productive than the other meetings': Sen. Chuck Schumer
- Lawmakers participating in rare weekend talks on a huge coronavirus relief measure reported progress on Saturday, as political pressure mounts to restore a newly expired $600-per-week supplemental unemployment benefit and send funding to help schools reopen, the AP reports. "This was the longest meeting we had and it was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.