Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read odd news stories and other latest weird crimes news from around the world on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Who Found Bag
With $5K Inside Arrested
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Man Who Found Bag With $5K Inside Arrested
The problem, police say, is that Connecticut man kept the cash
- A Connecticut man says it felt like he won the lottery when he discovered a bag with nearly $5,000 in cash lying in a parking lot. So, he decided to keep it. Three months later, he has been charged with larceny, the AP reports. It turns out the bag,...
Cops: Robbery Suspect
Went to Store With 3 Parrots
Aug 26, 2023 9:22 AM CDT
Cops: Robbery Suspect Went to Store With 3 Parrots
They're trying to track down Virginia 'bird bandit'
- Police in Fairfax County, Virginia are calling him the "Bird Bandit." Police say the suspect displayed a knife and robbed somebody of an undisclosed amount of money at a McDonald's in the Seven Corners area on Tuesday morning, the
reports. The suspect is described as...
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into
a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
Aug 18, 2023 8:50 AM CDT
A Stolen Vehicle Crashed Into a Cop Car. Inside, a Surprise
The owner, a juvenile, fled the crash site and was later arrested; suspect never mentioned the cat
- Connecticut police who found a kitten in a stolen car say they've located the animal's owner: a juvenile suspect who fled and was arrested after the car crashed. The Meriden Police Department said on its Facebook page Thursday that the gray-and-white male cat, believed to be about 7...
Cops Hear Weird Siren,
Arrest Phony US Marshal
Aug 7, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Cops Hear Weird Siren, Arrest Phony US Marshal
Florida man claimed he was investigating shootings
- A man accused of impersonating a law enforcement officer was wearing a hat that said "Police US Marshal," police in Florida say, but it didn't take a real Marshal more than a few seconds to determine he wasn't the real deal. The Marion County Sheriff's...
Dog Detects Thief,
Does Not Deter Thief
Aug 7, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
Dog Detects Thief, Does Not Deter Thief
Friendly pooch accepts a belly rub instead, and San Diego police release the video
- A San Diego dog is excellent at detecting burglars. The next step could use a little work. As NBC San Diego reports, police released an unusual surveillance video of a burglar taking an electric bike from a homeowner's garage. "In a rather peculiar turn of events, as the...
Fed Her Home
in case you missed it
Aug 6, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Woman, 87, Fed Her Home Invader
Maine's Marjorie Perkins says she fought off teen home intruder, then fed him a meal
- An elderly woman not only fought off an intruder who broke into her Maine home—she made sure he was well-fed before he went on his way. The
reports that 87-year-old Marjorie Perkins of Brunswick was fast asleep last Wednesday when she woke up to find a young...
Cops: Man Who Fondled
Feet in Tahoe Arrested
Aug 3, 2023 9:54 AM CDT
Cops: Man Who Fondled Feet in Tahoe Arrested
Mark Anthony Gonzales, 26, accused of sneaking into Nevada resort condos to commit creepy crime
- A California man accused of sneaking into Lake Tahoe vacation condos and fondling women's feet has been arrested. On Wednesday, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office in Nevada said that 26-year-old Mark Anthony Gonzales of Atwater had been taken into custody on Monday and hit with burglary and battery...
After Bank Robber
Failed at First Bank,
He Crossed Street
and Tried Again: Cops
Jul 21, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Bank Robber Failed at First Bank, He Crossed Street and Tried Again: Cops
And that time he was successful, police say
- If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? That was apparently what a 67-year-old New Jersey man figured when he allegedly tried to rob one bank, failed, but then successfully robbed the bank across the street. Police say that on June 30, Ivan Sevastianow walked into a Wells...
Things Got Truly Nasty
on I-95 in Connecticut
Jul 19, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
Things Got Truly Nasty on I-95 in Connecticut
Human excrement leaking from a truck caused crashes
- Traffic got nasty on a stretch of I-95 in Connecticut on Monday night—quite literally. A northbound tractor-trailer that was leaking human excrement as it traveled caused a number of crashes around 10:30pm, with police saying 10 vehicles ended up being impacted by the waste. The
New York Daily
of the Year'
Shot a Horse
Jul 11, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Cops: 'Horseman of the Year' Shot a Horse
North Carolina man is charged after fatal shooting
- Last month, 75-year-old John Russell of North Carolina was honored as "horseman of the year" for his dedication to the animals. This month, Russell faces felony charges after police say he fatally shot a horse, reports WYFF . It appears that Russell wasn't aiming at the horse, but that...
He Tried to Rob the Nail
Salon. It Didn't Quite Work
Jul 8, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
He Tried to Rob the Nail Salon. It Didn't Quite Work
Customers, staff ignore man's demands for money in Atlanta incident
- Usually when someone enters a building with what appears to be a weapon and yells "Everybody get down!," people scurry to get down. Not in this Georgia nail salon, where patrons and staff members didn't seem at all fazed by a criminal wannabe's attempts to rob...
Wine Theft Was Like
'Something Out of
Jul 6, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Wine Theft Was Like 'Something Out of
Some $600K of fine wine was stolen from Lincoln Fine Wines in Venice, California
- Nazmul Haque Helal had gotten burglary alarm notifications on his phone before, but they had all been false alarms. The alerts that came in on June 30 weren't, and what he found when he arrived at his wine shop in Venice, California, just before 5am chilled him: Some 600...
Cops: Hotel Guest Skips Out
on Bill After 603 Nights
Jun 22, 2023 4:43 PM CDT
Cops: Hotel Guest Skips Out on Bill After 603 Nights
Police in India say he had help from hotel staffers, owes $70K
- A man checked into a ritzy hotel in India on May 30, 2019, and booked his room for one night. More than 600 nights later—on Jan. 22, 2021—the guest identified as Ankush Dutta checked out from the five-star Roseate House in Delhi without paying a cent, reports the...
At Harvard Medical School,
an 'Abhorrent Betrayal'
Jun 14, 2023 4:06 PM CDT
At Harvard Medical School, an 'Abhorrent Betrayal'
Federal indictment accuses school's morgue manager of stealing, selling body parts
- Human body parts that ended up sold via social media and a place called Kat’s Creepy Creations were stolen from Harvard Medical School, say federal officials, who allege the school's morgue manager was the one who took the remains. A federal indictment accuses Cedric Lodge, 55, of taking...
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves
One Cop Accusing Another
Jun 13, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Bizarre Traffic Stop Involves One Cop Accusing Another
Officer in Orlando has been relieved of duty pending an investigation
- It must have looked for all the world like two police cars racing to a crime scene. Instead, it was one law enforcement officer trying to stop another for speeding. The strange scene unfolded in Orlando, Florida, where a deputy with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office says he spotted...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 10, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Driver's Fine for Speeding: $129K
The problem here for Anders Wiklof is that he is wealthy and lives in Finland
- The minimum fine for speeding in Finland is 6 euros. The maximum? That's a much different story, because Finland uses a progressive system pegged to a driver's wealth, explains Euro News . Which is how the very wealthy Anders Wiklof just received a fine of 121,000 euros, or...
About as Weird
as It Can Get
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
This Bakery Break-In Was About as Weird as It Can Get
Man cleaned up mess from his break-in at Vancouver shop, took selfies, stole 6 cupcakes
- "Canadians are known worldwide for sometimes being too nice" is how one media outlet is framing a cupcake caper out of British Columbia, in which both the perp and the bakery owner he inconvenienced are making headlines for their classic Canadian courtesy. The CBC reports on the incident, which...
Cops: Alleged Robber Used
'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Jun 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Alleged Robber Used 'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Officials say David Joseph Dalesandro held up convenience store with Nintendo 'Duck Hunt' pistol
- An armed robbery this week at a South Carolina convenience store apparently wasn't as "armed" as the clerk thought. CNN reports on the Tuesday incident at a Kwik Stop in the small town of Sharon, where a man donning a hoodie, wig, and mask entered the store around...
After Cops Arrested 6,
the Arrests Kept Coming
in case you missed it
May 28, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
After Cops Arrested 6, the Arrests Kept Coming
Auto theft case goes off the rails after guardian for detained juveniles shows up in a stolen car
- An auto theft case in Maryland took a wild turn after the guardian of four detained juveniles who came to the police station to pick them up was arrested as well. KOMO reports that on May 16, cops ran a check on two occupied Hyundais parked in a business lot...
Cops: He Shot
Butt for Eating
Last Hot Pocket
May 25, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Cops: He Shot Roommate in Butt for Eating Last Hot Pocket
Clifton Williams, 64, faces assault charges
- It's that rarest of crimes: a Hot Pockets shooting. Police in Louisville, Kentucky, say a 64-year-old man shot his roommate in the derriere for eating the last one, reports WLKY . Clifton Williams allegedly got torqued and started "throwing tiles" at his male roommate when he discovered all the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.