Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read odd news stories and other latest weird crimes news from around the world on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
by Posts on
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 25, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Bodybuilder's Scam Foiled by Posts on Social Media
New York man pleads guilty to $200K scam
- In 2013, while he was working as an electrician, Anthony Ragusa fell while on the job. From 2015 to 2020, he collected more than $200,000 in disability benefits after claiming the injuries suffered in the fall left him unable to do work of any kind. His benefits application claimed...
Man Allegedly Steals Cop Car,
Then Responds to Call
Jun 23, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
Man Allegedly Steals Cop Car, Then Responds to Call
Jeremiah James Taylor faces a slew of charges in Colorado
- It's one thing to steal a marked police car. It's another to respond to an emergency call in that same car. Authorities in Teller County, Colorado, says Jeremiah James Taylor, 33, did just that this week, reports KDVR . The county sheriff's office says Taylor first stole the...
Has Him in
Jun 16, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Bus Driver's Sweet Snack Has Him in Hot Water
Jinhuan Chen, who blacked out behind wheel, says he didn't know gummies he ate had THC in them
- A commercial bus driver has been charged with 38 counts of reckless endangerment after blacking out behind the steering wheel while snacking on gummies he says he didn't know were infused with THC. Jinhuan Chen appeared Tuesday in Bridgeport Superior Court after being arrested at his home in Boston,...
Cops: Man Stole Car, Tried
to Sell It Back to Its Owner
Jun 9, 2022 12:43 AM CDT
Cops: Man Stole Car, Tried to Sell It Back to Its Owner
She informed police about the $3K offer
- Police say a man stole a woman's car from a Memphis hotel last month—and then offered to sell it back to her. The woman says her 2012 Infiniti G-37 went missing, and she was then contacted by a friend of a friend she was connected to through social...
Vandalized With Red Paint
Jun 8, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Statue Vandalized With Red Paint
Salem resident was arrested
- In the wiggle of a nose, a man partially covered the
statue in Salem with red paint, police said. Witnesses called police at about 5pm Monday to report someone spray painting the bronze statue, Capt. John Burke said Tuesday. The statue depicts actor Elizabeth Montgomery—as lead character Samantha...
Tied to $7.2M
COVID Relief Plot
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Authorities: Japanese Fugitive Tied to $7.2M COVID Relief Plot
Mitsuhiro Taniguchi is now in custody in Indonesia and set to be deported
- For a week or two, Mitsuhiro Taniguchi was holed up in the home of an Indonesian fish trader, trying to convince him of his plan to invest in local fisheries. That won't be happening now, though, as he's been nabbed by authorities over the money he was perhaps...
7 Hospitalized After
Co-Worker Brings Brownies
May 27, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
7 Hospitalized After Co-Worker Brings Brownies
Man is fired and arrested after colleagues fall ill at call center in Argentina
- Employees at a call center in Argentina began Monday morning with chocolate brownies, brought to work by a colleague. One woman stopped after one bite, Vice reports, saying the brownie didn't taste right. That bite was enough to cause problems. "My body stopped responding, I stopped feeling my...
Men's Alleged Attempt to
Move House Did Not Go Well
May 24, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Men's Alleged Attempt to Move House Did Not Go Well
They allegedly left trail of destruction before simply abandoning it in Louisiana street
- In most instances, police would probably be surprised if not perplexed to get a call at 3:30am reporting a house had been abandoned in the middle of the street. However, it did not take deputies in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, long to identify a suspect. "This has been an...
Power Ranger Actor Among
18 Charged in PPP Scam
May 20, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Power Ranger Actor Among 18 Charged in PPP Scam
Indictment says fraudulent loan applications brought in $3.5M
- A federal indictment accuses 18 people of fraudulently collecting $3.5 million in PPP loans intended to help businesses, including an actor in the Power Rangers TV series. The group's members spent the money on themselves, prosecutors in Texas said. Jason Lawrence Geiger, 47, faces a charge of conspiracy...
Man Who Accidentally Got All
of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
May 19, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Man Who Accidentally Got All of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
The 24-year-old Japanese man was arrested on fraud charge
- What the Japanese town of Abu knew was this: The $770 each COVID relief payments that were supposed to go to 463 low-income households last month mistakenly ended up in a 24-year-old villager's account . The mistake occurred April 8 and was identified that same day, but for weeks Sho...
Alleged Thieves Return
Items After 'Scary Dreams’
May 17, 2022 4:54 PM CDT
Alleged Thieves Return Items After 'Scary Dreams’
Idols were taken from a temple in India, but not for long
- The 16 statues a group of thieves made off with last week in India ended up being less of a haul and more of a curse, according to the alleged criminals. The AFP reports the idols had been carried off from a centuries-old Hindu temple in Uttar Pradesh that honored...
Marriage Proposal Ends
in 2 Arrests, $25K in Fines
May 13, 2022 11:33 AM CDT
Marriage Proposal Ends in 2 Arrests, $25K in Fines
Celebratory balloons were subsequently popped, fell in ocean off Miami
- A marriage proposal and subsequent celebration aboard a yacht in Miami has been overshadowed by the arrest of two people and more than $25,000 in fines for others involved. Their alleged crime: dumping balloons. A bystander recorded video showing dozens of balloons decorating a yacht docked at Bayshore Landing...
United Passenger Arrested
After Unorthodox Exit
May 5, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
United Passenger Arrested After Unorthodox Exit
Police say man opened emergency door, walked onto wing of taxiing plane, and slid to ground
- In the latest installment of tales about unruly air passengers , Chicago police arrested a man who disembarked via an emergency exit onto the wing—while the plane was taxiing. The incident happened on a United jet that landed at O'Hare from San Diego early Thursday morning, reports NBC News...
After Guests Fall Ill at Wedding,
Bride and Caterer Are Arrested
in case you missed it
Apr 24, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
After Guests Fall Ill at Wedding, Bride and Caterer Are Arrested
Affidavits say the two laced the reception food with marijuana
- Feeling joyous and elated at a wedding is one thing. Feeling "weird, tingly, fidgety, and had an extremely dry mouth" is another. That's how one guest at a Feb. 19 wedding reception in Longwood, Fla., described feeling, and police allege it's because the food was laced with...
2 Arrested in Theft of Sheriff's
Apr 19, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
2 Arrested in Theft of Sheriff's Speed-Warning Trailer
'It appears they were trying to get the batteries to sell the batteries,' sheriff says
- Two Alabama men have been arrested over an audacious, but extremely ill-advised, theft. The Russell County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post Tuesday that Gabriel Mendoza Garcia and Steve Gerome Spann were arrested Monday for allegedly stealing a speed-warning trailer that belongs to the sheriff's office. "...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Cops: Pie in the Face
Prank Is Criminal
Apr 15, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Cops: Pie in the Face Prank Is Criminal
Greenville, SC, police search for suspect ID'd through his YouTube videos
- South Carolina police are looking for a suspect in a series of whipped cream assaults, who was identified from his own YouTube channel. Andre Eugene Moore-Gerald of Greenville, also identified through CCTV footage, is wanted on charges of third-degree assault and battery, according to Greenville police. Sgt. Johnathan Bragg says...
Man's Golf-Cart Scheme
Lands Him in Prison
Apr 13, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Man's Golf-Cart Scheme Lands Him in Prison
Authorities say Nathan Rodney Nelson admitted to stealing, trying to steal 84 carts
- A Florida man ran into financial trouble. The scheme he concocted to get out of it has landed him in prison for two years. Authorities say Nathan Rodney Nelson, 46, confessed to stealing or trying to steal 84 golf carts across a number of states starting in 2017. He pleaded...
Don't Do This
Apr 13, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Really Want an Audi? Don't Do This
Randy Cantwell arrested for impersonating federal marshal, trying to steal car in Tulsa, Okla.
- A man in Oklahoma apparently had his heart set on an Audi, but his alleged scheme to acquire one didn't work out the way it was supposed to. KTUL reports that Randy Cantwell was arrested in Tulsa after police say he showed up at a car dealership in Tulsa,...
Cops: 'Ethical Hacker'
Was Anything But
Apr 11, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Cops: 'Ethical Hacker' Was Anything But
Aaron Motta of Florida accused of robbing customer of nearly $600K in cryptocurrency
- Police say a tech expert listed as a "certified ethical hacker" on LinkedIn fell a wee bit short in the ethics department while working with a senior citizen. The Clearwater Police Department says 27-year-old Aaron Daniel Motta robbed nearly $600,000 in cryptocurrency from a customer who hired Motta...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
Cops Shove Full House Star to the Ground During LA Protest
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.