Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Companies Just Made
Fortune 500's Top 10
Jun 6, 2023 4:26 PM CDT
These Companies Just Made Fortune 500's Top 10
Walmart takes top spot in annual ranking of largest US firms
has released its annual Fortune 500 rankings, its 69th version of the list of the country's largest corporations, based on revenue for 2022's fiscal year. Per a release , a company had to bring in $7.2 billion to be included, a jump of 13% from last...
Group Calculates Climate
Reparations for Oil Companies
Jun 4, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Group Calculates Climate Reparations for Oil Companies
World's top companies would owe $209B a year, according to One Earth analysis
- The top 21 fossil fuel companies are responsible for 36% of global emissions since 1988, according to a new study , which concludes BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, and others should collectively pay at least $209 billion annually in climate reparations. Talk of who should pay climate reparations typically falls to the level...
ExxonMobil Set to Square
Off Against Activist Investors
May 31, 2023 7:34 AM CDT
ExxonMobil Set to Square Off Against Activist Investors
Shareholder meeting at Chevron also promises to be contentious over emissions reduction plans
- The fly on the wall at Wednesday's ExxonMobil shareholder meeting is likely to get quite an earful, notably on the topic of climate change. Quartz reports that the oil giant is expecting a battle with some of its more activist-leaning investors, including on multiple proposals regarding carbon emissions that...
Record Profits Last Year
Jan 31, 2023 2:20 PM CST
ExxonMobil Made Record Profits Last Year
'Our results clearly benefited from a favorable market'
- ExxonMobil posted record annual profits in 2022 as Americans struggled with high prices for gasoline, home heating, and consumer goods. The oil giant brought in $12.75 billion in profits in the fourth quarter, bringing annual net income to $55.7 billion. That exceeds Exxon's previous record of $45....
Researchers: This Is 'Smoking
Gun' on an Exxon Cover-Up
Jan 13, 2023 11:45 AM CST
Researchers: This Is 'Smoking Gun' on an Exxon Cover-Up
Oil giant made eerily accurate predictions on climate change, then misled public, scientists say
- Who needs Nostradamus when we've got Exxon? The
reports that "a trove of internal documents and research papers" has long established that Exxon, now known as ExxonMobil, knew since the 1970s of the dangers of global warming, and that other oil companies acknowledged the same decades before...
Big Oil 'Greenwashing'
Feb 17, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Accusations of Big Oil 'Greenwashing' Are Well-Founded
Actions haven't lived up to clean energy rhetoric, researchers say
- If actions speak louder than words, oil companies have been very quiet about transitioning to clean energy, according to a new study. Researchers in Japan looked at four major oil companies—BP, Chevron, ExxonMobil, and Shell—and found that while there had been a rise in promises of action and...
Green Investor Forces
Exxon Directors Out
May 26, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Green Investor Forces Exxon Directors Out
Unprecedented revolt over climate strategy puts at least 2 new members on board
- ExxonMobil shareholders backed a hedge fund opposed to the company's approach to climate change issues by replacing board members Wednesday. It's the first such rebellion the company has ever faced, CNN Business reports. The hedge fund, Engine No. 1, won two board seats, and the races for two...
Dow Jones Is Removing
Its Oldest Member
Aug 25, 2020 2:21 PM CDT
Dow Jones Is Removing Its Oldest Member
Exxon Mobil is among 3 leaving in shake-up
- Three companies are departing the Dow Jones Industrial Average—including Exxon Mobil, currently the oldest member of the influential 30-company stock index. The oil giant, which joined the index in 1928 as Standard Oil, will be leaving along with Pfizer and Raytheon in the Dow's biggest shake-up since 2013,...
Exxon Wins Closely Watched
Dec 10, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Exxon Wins Closely Watched Climate Case
New York state accused it of misleading investors on the related costs
- ExxonMobil has prevailed in a rare legal situation: a climate change case that made it to trial. This one was more about alleged fraud than pollution, however, reports NPR . New York state Attorney General Letitia James accused the company of misleading investors about the potential cost of climate change, but...
Here, Interns Can
Earn $96K a Year
May 2, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Here, Interns Can Earn $96K a Year
Facebook's interns are a lucky bunch
- Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to keep a rewarding internship and a roof over your head . If you're prepared for a fight, you can find a great internship that also pays well—$8,000 per month in the case of Facebook. Here are the companies offering the...
Rex Tillerson Used Email Alias
'Wayne Tracker' at Exxon
Mar 14, 2017 12:06 PM CDT
Rex Tillerson Used Email Alias 'Wayne Tracker' at Exxon
At least in missives about climate change, says New York attorney general
- An investigation into whether Exxon Mobil misled investors regarding its knowledge of climate change has revealed that former CEO and current Secretary of State Rex Tillerson used an alias email address to discuss the subject, says New York's attorney general. In a letter to a New York judge on...
White House Press Release
Mar 7, 2017 4:09 AM CST
White House Press Release Copies ExxonMobil's
Both releases contained identical paragraph
- The White House and ExxonMobil were literally on the same page Monday when a White House statement on the oil giant's investment plan lifted an entire paragraph from an Exxon press release issued around 30 minutes earlier. Both statements praised how the company is "strategically investing in new...
Exit From Exxon
Jan 4, 2017 11:11 AM CST
Rex Tillerson Makes $240M Exit From Exxon
He'll sell stock, with value of deferred stock put in trust
- Rex Tillerson will take a $180 million retirement deal and make a complete break from ExxonMobil if confirmed as secretary of state. In a deal announced Tuesday, Exxon says the former oil executive who resigned on Dec. 31 will sell his 611,000 shares of Exxon, worth about $55.5...
Leak Reveals Another
Dec 19, 2016 1:42 AM CST
Leak Reveals Another Tillerson-Russia Tie
He headed Exxon's Russian subsidiary
- Documents leaked to a German newspaper have revealed that Rex Tillerson has even stronger ties to Russia than first thought, the
reports. The ExxonMobil CEO spent years as a director of Exxon Neftegas, Exxon's Russian subsidiary based in the Bahamas for tax purposes, according to corporate documents leaked...
Trump Picks Rex Tillerson,
but Path Will Be Tricky
Dec 13, 2016 5:42 AM CST
Trump Picks Rex Tillerson, but Path Will Be Tricky
Secretary of state hearings likely to focus on Russia, conflicts of interest
- Donald Trump confirmed Tuesday morning that Rex Tillerson is his pick to be secretary of state—but the ExxonMobil chief's path to confirmation is not expected to be an easy one. The
reports that some GOP senators may be unwilling to support Tillerson because of his ties...
Multiple Reports: Tillerson
Is Pick for Secretary of State
Dec 12, 2016 9:48 PM CST
Multiple Reports: Tillerson Is Pick for Secretary of State
Trump expected to name ExxonMobil chief his nominee on Tuesday
- It's Tillerson: Multiple outlets were reporting Monday night that Donald Trump has settled on ExxonMobil chief Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state. Among those reporting the news in advance of a formal announcement Tuesday were the
New York Times
, the AP , and CNN . All...
One of South America's
Has Struck Oil
Sep 5, 2016 6:18 AM CDT
One of South America's Poorest Countries Has Struck Oil
Find excites but worries Guyana
- Guyana has long been one of the hemisphere's poorest places, a sparsely populated nation on South America's northern shoulder that relies heavily on exports of sugar, rice, and gold. But these days, there's a surge of excitement about an anticipated windfall from major oil-and-gas deposits found in...
Our Oil, 'Like
It or Not'
May 26, 2016 11:17 AM CDT
ExxonMobil CEO: World Needs Our Oil, 'Like It or Not'
Cutting oil production 'not acceptable to humanity': Rex Tillerson
- Keep the oil taps flowing for the good of the people, the CEO and chair of ExxonMobil appealed to shareholders at what the
says was a "long and fractious" annual meeting in Dallas on Wednesday. Rex Tillerson told attendees the oil giant had already pumped $7 billion into...
Scientist: Exxon Knew of Climate Change in 1981, Lied
Jul 9, 2015 12:49 PM CDT
Scientist: Exxon Knew of Climate Change in 1981, Lied
'Guardian' explores explosive claims in newly uncovered email
- Exxon was ahead of the game on climate change. According to Lenny Bernstein, who spent 20 years there as a climate expert, the company knew about the link between fossil fuels and climate change in 1981—seven years before the issue truly became public. But for the next 27 years,...
Carbon Tax Looming,
Big Business Gets
Ready to Pay Up
Dec 5, 2013 2:34 PM CST
Carbon Tax Looming, Big Business Gets Ready to Pay Up
Dozens of US companies factoring price into financial plans
- First came news that 90 companies are to blame for the majority of greenhouse gas emissions. Now, more than two dozen big US corporations are planning for a future that involves paying for their pollution. A survey by green-data firm CDP shows that 29 companies, including Exxon, Chevron, and Walmart,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
This Photo Is Being Censored in China
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.