Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US 'Missileers' Have
Troubling Rates of Cancer
Jan 23, 2023 10:10 AM CST
US 'Missileers' Have Troubling Rates of Cancer
9 officers who worked at nuclear base years ago diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Nine military officers who'd worked decades ago at a nuclear missile base in Montana have been diagnosed with blood cancer, and there are "indications" the disease may be linked to their service, according to military briefing slides obtained by the AP . One of the officers has died. All...
May Be 'a Bit
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Canada's New Booze Guidelines May Be 'a Bit Shocking'
New recommendation for beer-swilling Canadians: no more than 2 drinks per week
- In Canada, the legal drinking age is between 18 and 19, depending on location. But new guidelines from the nation's Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction not only discourage young people from throwing one too many back—the center is now warning everyone away from more than two...
A 'Gift' Was Entangled
in Chris Evert's Grief
Jan 18, 2023 9:25 AM CST
A 'Gift' Was Entangled in Chris Evert's Grief
Because Jeanne Evert Dubin had BRCA1 variant, the tennis legend got tested
- Tennis legend Chris Evert on Tuesday announced she has beat the cancer that killed her younger sister in 2020. In a piece for ESPN , Evert recounts what led up to her discovery of stage 1 ovarian cancer a year ago . She writes that her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, underwent genetic...
Bad News From the
'Lord of the Dance'
Jan 12, 2023 1:03 PM CST
Bad News From the 'Lord of the Dance'
Riverdance's Michael Flatley fighting an aggressive cancer
- The so-called "Lord of the Dance" Michael Flatley is battling cancer for a second time. The Irish-American dancer and choreographer, who underwent treatment for facial skin cancer in 2003, has been diagnosed "with an aggressive form of cancer," according to an Instagram post shared Wednesday, per the...
Hit With 'Double Whammy'
Jan 2, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Tennis Great Martina Navratilova Hit With 'Double Whammy'
She has throat, breast cancer
- Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been hit with a "double whammy": a diagnosis of throat and breast cancer. Both are early stage, and the 18-time Grand Slam singles champion will begin treatment this month. The BBC reports that Navratilova, 66, discovered an enlarged lymph node in her neck in...
Jane Fonda Shares
Huge News With Fans
Dec 16, 2022 12:39 AM CST
Jane Fonda Shares Huge News With Fans
Actress and activist says her cancer is in remission
- Jane Fonda received an amazing gift for the holidays and her upcoming 85th birthday: Her cancer is in remission. "I am feeling so blessed, so fortunate. I thank all of you who prayed and sent good thoughts my way. I am confident that it played a role in the...
on Results of Cancer
Dec 15, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Researcher 'Shocked' on Results of Cancer Screening Study
Recommended tests find just 14% of diagnosed cancers in US, report finds
- Cancer screening is great, but it's not perfect. According to a new report, just 14% of all diagnosed cancers in the US are detected with a recommended screening test, while 15% of screenable cancers aren't detected by screening. The vast majority of cancers are actually found when a...
Blythe Danner Has Been
Fighting Same Cancer
That Killed Husband
Nov 21, 2022 4:47 PM CST
Blythe Danner Has Been Fighting Same Cancer That Killed Husband
Gwyneth Paltrow's mother says she's now 'fine and dandy' after battling oral cancer
- "Everyone is touched by cancer in some way, but it's unusual for a couple to have the same cancer," Blythe Danner, mother of actor Gwyneth Paltrow and director Jake Paltrow, tells
. Danner, an Emmy-winning actor, has disclosed that she is in remission after a yearslong battle...
Producer Dead at 47
Oct 26, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Executive Producer Dead at 47
Ben Feigin, who helped launch the hit CBC/Netflix series, has died of pancreatic cancer
- One of the driving forces behind the award-winning CBC television series
reports that executive producer Ben Feigin died of pancreatic cancer, with confirmation on his death from United Talent Agency, his former employer. Feigin was 47. The Maryland native kicked off his career at...
Chemical Hair Straighteners
Linked to Uterine Cancer
Oct 18, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Chemical Hair Straighteners Linked to Uterine Cancer
Frequent use appears to double a woman's risk of developing uterine cancer
- If you're looking for a reason to join the natural hair movement , this could be it: Using chemical hair straighteners may come with an increased risk of uterine cancer, according to a new study by the National Institutes of Health. The study of 33,500 women in the US...
Colonoscopies Just Got
Kicked Off Their 'Pedestal'
Oct 11, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Colonoscopies Just Got Kicked Off Their 'Pedestal'
Screening tool for colon cancer not as effective as once thought, though docs stress it's still important
- No one ever looks forward to a colonoscopy, but it's long been framed as a crucial tool in the fight against colon cancer. As Stat News notes, "gastroenterologists put colonoscopies on a pedestal" for decades. Now, a new 10-year study out of Europe puts somewhat of a damper...
Got a Call,
Then 'the Room
Started to Spin'
Sep 28, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Katie Couric Got a Call, Then 'the Room Started to Spin'
Journalist reveals breast cancer diagnosis and surgery, urges others to get checked
- On her eighth wedding anniversary, Katie Couric found out she had breast cancer. "I felt sick and the room started to spin," the former TV anchor writes of the day, June 21, on her Katie Couric Media website. Her doctor had told her she was overdue for a...
US Has Never Had More
Sep 22, 2022 2:38 PM CDT
US Has Never Had More Cancer Survivors
Researchers count 18M
- A record 18 million people in the US can describe themselves with two important words: "cancer survivor." That's up 1 million from last year, according to a study by the American Association for Cancer Research, per CNN . The story notes that only 3 million cancer survivors were...
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump
in Road for Governor
Sep 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump in Road for Governor
Ex-WH press secretary, 40, reveals thyroid cancer surgery, says she'll be back soon for Ark. campaign
- Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who's running for governor in Arkansas, underwent surgery Friday for thyroid cancer. Sanders announced she underwent the surgery after a biopsy earlier this month revealed she had the cancer. Sanders was recovering at an Arkansas hospital on Friday, her campaign said....
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
on Danger of Air Pollution
Sep 13, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call' on Danger of Air Pollution
Researchers discover how fine particulate matter triggers gene mutations to form lung cancer
- For some of us, cells in our lungs mutate with age. These mutations seem perfectly healthy—until they come up against air pollution. The result is rapid changes in the cells that turn them cancerous, which could explain why people who've never smoked still develop lung cancer, according to...
Sep 12, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Evokes JFK Moonshot Challenge in Cancer Fight
Initiative aims to cut deaths from the disease in half in 25 years
- Sixty years to the day after President John F. Kennedy's famous speech about Americans reaching the moon, President Biden delivered an update on his plan to battle cancer that he likens to the challenge issued in 1962. "This cancer moonshot is one of the reasons why I ran...
Johnson & Johnson's
'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Aug 12, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
Johnson & Johnson's 'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Cornstarch will take its place, starting next year, after complaints talc caused cancer
- You already won't find Johnson & Johnson baby powder containing talc on most store shelves in the US and Canada, but now the company is nixing the ingredient in that product worldwide, after tens of thousands of complaints were filed alleging it caused cancer in consumers who used it....
DMV Revoked Her Vanity
Plate. She's Fighting Back
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
DMV Revoked Her Vanity Plate. She's Fighting Back
Federal judge rules that Kari Lynn Overington's suit on 'FCANCER' plate may proceed
- Kari Lynn Overington was in a celebratory mood when she hit the milestone of being cancer-free for two years, so she treated herself to a new car and a vanity plate that said "FCANCER," a defiant message to the breast cancer she'd beat. The DMV issued the...
Dies at 40
Jun 29, 2022 7:49 AM CDT
UK Podcaster Deborah James Dies at 40
Mom of 2 announced last month she was in hospice care for bowel cancer
- Last month, podcaster Deborah James delivered some surprise news to fans, announcing her bowel cancer had returned after a bout of remission and that she was in hospice care at home. Now, a sad update out of the UK: James has died of her illness at the age of 40,...
Brings 'Great Relief'
Jun 7, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Greg LeMond: Cancer Diagnosis Brings 'Great Relief'
US cycling legend had been feeling lousy for weeks
- Two-time world cycling champion and three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia, which he says is treatable. "No one ever wants to hear the word cancer but, admittedly, there is great relief, now, to know why I was feeling poorly,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.