accidental death

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Girl, 8, Describes Escape From Sinking Car as Family Drowned

Chloe Kabealo's mother, sister, and brother drowned after car went into river

(Newser) - Chloe Kabealo unbuckled her seatbelt after the car her mother was driving slid off a muddy Australia road into a flooded river and tried to "go up for air," then "just kept floating up out." That's how the 8-year-old survived the crash as the car... More »

Autopsy Complete on Teen Killed by Hammer Throw

Head trauma determined as cause of death

(Newser) - A coroner has listed head trauma as the preliminary cause of death of a college student who died after being struck during a hammer-throw event at a track-and-field meet near Chicago, the AP reports. The DuPage County Coroner's office says in a news release that it reached the preliminary... More »

Deaths of Couple, Their Cats Baffle Cops, Worry Neighbors

The Morashes died of carbon monoxide poisoning—but from what?

(Newser) - Roger Hanna Morash, 35, and Valerie Morash, 32, were found dead in their Berkeley apartment on Jan. 23 alongside their two cats, and authorities still aren't sure exactly what happened—which is a big concern for the tenants of the other three units in the building where the couple... More »

Ex-NFL Player Accidentally Kills Daughter, 3

Police say Todd Heap hit girl with truck

(Newser) - Tragedy for Todd Heap: Police say the former NFL tight end accidentally killed his 3-year-old daughter while moving a truck outside his home in Mesa, Arizona, ESPN reports. Police say they were told the girl was on the driveway outside the home Friday afternoon when Heap hit her while moving... More »

Boy, 13, Accidentally Kills Self on Instagram Live

10 to 15 friends saw Malachi Hemphill fatally shoot himself

(Newser) - His mom says Malachi Hemphill was apparently only trying to put a clip in a gun she didn't even know he had. Instead, the 13-year-old accidentally shot himself in the head Monday as 10 to 15 friends watched on Instagram Live. Shaniqua Stephens tells WXIA that a witness to... More »

Teen Dies While Jumping From Roof to Roof During Game

Group of friends was playing Capture-the-Flag

(Newser) - A rooftop game of Capture-the-Flag turned fatal in Denver, Colo., Friday night. A 17-year-old boy fell to his death from the roof of the Denver Academy private school around 8:15pm, police confirmed Saturday night. According to another teen who was with the boy, the group of friends was on... More »

He Raced to Eat a Massive Doughnut, and It Killed Him

Travis Malouff reportedly tried to eat giant sweet in less than 80 seconds in Denver

(Newser) - Competitive eating has taken another awful turn, this time in Colorado. Last week a Connecticut college student whose dad died on 9/11 apparently choked to death during a pancake-eating contest , and early Sunday, a 42-year-old man suffered the same fate while scarfing down a giant doughnut, KUSA reports. Witnesses say... More »

Woman Collapses, Dies at Half-Marathon Finish Line

Lindsay Doherty died of internal hemorrhage

(Newser) - A coroner says a woman who collapsed at the end of a half marathon in Pennsylvania died of an internal hemorrhage, the AP reports. The Scranton Times-Tribune reports that the Lackawanna County coroner said Monday that 36-year-old Lindsay Doherty died of intra-abdominal bleeding. The married mother of three collapsed at... More »

College Student Dies After Pancake-Eating Contest

Caitlin Nelson apparently choked

(Newser) - Caitlin Nelson was just 5 years old when her father, James Nelson, a Port Authority police officer, was killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, World Trade Center attack. Sixteen years later, tragedy struck the Nelson family again when Caitlin, a student at Connecticut's Sacred Heart University, died after apparently... More »

6 Kids Found Unresponsive on Hotel Pool Deck, 1 Dead

Carbon monoxide leak is to blame

(Newser) - Authorities say a carbon monoxide leak at a southwestern Michigan hotel has killed a child and sickened about a dozen other people, including other children and several police officers, the AP reports. WNDU-TV and WSBT-TV report that officials at Lakeland Hospital in Niles confirmed the child's death Saturday. No... More »

3-Year-Old Twins Drown as Father Sleeps

They wandered away from home

(Newser) - A 3-year-old girl and her twin brother died in what police are calling a "tragic accident" in a Missouri pond after they apparently wandered from home as their father slept. Platte County Undersheriff Maj. Erik Holland said Arrabelle and Elijah Wagner were found Monday in the private pond behind... More »

Freak Dressing Room Accident Kills Boy, 4

Hooded sweatshirt got caught on hanger

(Newser) - Police say a 4-year-old boy accidentally hanged himself while alone in the changing room of a Minnesota thrift store, the AP reports. Authorities say the incident happened Saturday afternoon at Again Thrift & More in Mankato, operated by the Minnesota Valley Action Council. Relatives have started an online fundraising effort... More »

After Electrocution Death, Coroner Says iPhones Should Carry Warning

British man dropped his in the tub

(Newser) - Dropping a phone in the bath while it is charging can be as deadly as chucking a plugged-in hairdryer in there, a coroner warned during an inquest into the death of a British man last December. Richard Bull, 32, was apparently using his iPhone in the bath when it slipped... More »

Malfunctioning Robot Killed Woman at Work: Lawsuit

Wrongful death suit filed over accident that killed Wanda Holbrook

(Newser) - A malfunctioning robot fatally crushed a woman's head as she adjusted machinery at her job, according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed in federal court by her husband. Wanda Holbrook, a maintenance technician for Michigan's Ventra Ionia, which does work related to trailer hitches, was inspecting machinery on... More »

One 'Huge, Unforgivable Error' Dooms Boy, 7

James Dwerryhouse dies after monitoring equipment is shut off

(Newser) - James Dwerryhouse went to a London hospital last year for a routine operation to get a colostomy bag—and, though the operation went well, the 7-year-old died after the equipment monitoring his breathing was shut off in the middle of the night, a hospital investigation has concluded. Though James had... More »

Arrests After UConn Student Killed in Freak Accident

Jeffny Pally, 19, died in October after being run over by a fire department vehicle

(Newser) - A freak accident left the University of Connecticut reeling in October; now, six arrests may have it reeling once more. Jeffny Pally was sitting up against a garage bay door at a fire station near her dorm on the Storrs campus around 1:15am when the door opened as fire... More »

Dad Falls to His Death After Turning to Check on Daughters

He was hiking with young daughters in North Carolina

(Newser) - Authorities say a North Carolina man plunged about 100 feet to his death from a lookout rock while hiking with his children, the AP reports. News outlets quote Saluda Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Zach Pace as saying that the man tripped and fell near Big Bradley Falls after turning... More »

He Fell During a Frat Party; 12 Hours Later, a Call for Help

Cops investigating death of Penn State student Timothy Piazza

(Newser) - Timothy Piazza fell down a set of stairs at his Penn State fraternity around 11pm Thursday in the midst of a party. A call for help came 12 hours later. Paramedics found Piazza, 19, unresponsive when they arrived at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity Friday morning. He was pronounced dead... More »

Woman Dies After Getting Stuck in Clothing Donation Bin

Judith Permar had a broken arm and hypothermia

(Newser) - A Pennsylvania woman died Sunday after getting her arm caught in a clothing donation bin, PennLive reports. Judith Permar, 56, is believed to have arrived at the clothing drop-off box around 2am and stood on a stepstool to reach her arm inside. According to Philly.com , police say she was... More »

Police Know What Killed 6 Teens in Garden Shed

It was carbon monoxide poisoning: cops

(Newser) - Six teenagers found dead Sunday in Bavaria died from carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities have confirmed. The teens, all aged 18 or 19, had been using a gasoline-powered generator inside a garden shed where they were holding a small birthday party on Saturday. The AP reports the generator wasn't approved... More »

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

AROUND THE WEB